• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance- Rescues

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
From a dim and distant memory I seem to recall that some rescues rehome with their bunnies with 4 weeks free insurance. Have I remembered that correctly?

Can anyone tell me more about it? How it works? Which insurers they go with? Also, if there are any benefits to the rescue?

We use Petplan for the 4 weeks free deal. They offer vouchers which cover cats dogs and rabbits. the rescue is given a number. You put that number on the leaflet, and the new owner quotes your number when asking for their 4 weeks free insurance.
If the new owner renews the policy after the free 4 weeks, the rescue gets a commission.
For other exotics such as guinea pigs and ferrets, we use Exotics Direct, but the forms are more compicated for the rescue and many exotics (such as small rodents) are not covered. I think they will also cover rabbits. This company also does 4 weeks free, with commission to the rescue on a sign-up, but I believe everything needs to be microchipped for this company.

I looked into this a few years ago, it was petplan and I seem to recall the rescue got a % of the premium if the owner took out ongoing insurance after the free period. No idea how it works now, but it obviously still exists somehow.

Edit: cross posted with fpr above!

We use Petplan for the 4 weeks free deal. They offer vouchers which cover cats dogs and rabbits. the rescue is given a number. You put that number on the leaflet, and the new owner quotes your number when asking for their 4 weeks free insurance.
If the new owner renews the policy after the free 4 weeks, the rescue gets a commission.
For other exotics such as guinea pigs and ferrets, we use Exotics Direct, but the forms are more compicated for the rescue and many exotics (such as small rodents) are not covered. I think they will also cover rabbits. This company also does 4 weeks free, with commission to the rescue on a sign-up, but I believe everything needs to be microchipped for this company.

This is how it worked when I adopted Smoo from BARC too. :wave:

Awesome thanks :D I have contacted Petplan to ask exactly how it works with them currently.

We have recently started using petplan too :) The RSPCA do their own pet insurance, but i found you get more comission from Petplan, they are also much more helpful and their insurance cover is better in the long term :)

We have recently started using petplan too :) The RSPCA do their own pet insurance, but i found you get more comission from Petplan, they are also much more helpful and their insurance cover is better in the long term :)

:thumb: Thanks!

Thanks guys. I had a very nice chappy from PetPlan call me just now and explained in great detail, so I now know exactly where I am with it and how it all works. Thanks very much for your help :)

Back