• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Orla's Dislocation and a New Wound Page 8

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed just now that Orla is holding her left paw up and running along on three legs. She is holding her left leg up when she runs about and it looks limp. I also examined her leg and it feels sloppy and limp

I can also hear a loud clicking noise when she runs but it seems to be coming from her back legs.

She does not seem to be in any pain and she is eating and playing as normal. I'm not sure if the injury is new or if she came up from England with it. She was vet checked in England and I'm sure my in laws would have noticed her injury so I think for those reasons it is new. She has a hutch and a box to jump on and off of in her run and could have sustained an injury like that I suppose although both things are low and easily within her grasp. She is young, agile and otherwise healthy but I'm worried about this limp. Do you think it warrants a visit to the emergency vet and an x-ray?

I've included a video of her running about so that you can see what I mean about her leg.

Last edited:
How old is she?
Squidgy started to do this, and he had a poorly shoulder. The vet thought it was arthritis set in.
Pop her along to the vets and see what they say.

Recent VHD Vaccination ?

If not I would confine her as of now. Until the extent of any injury is identified it is essential that she does not cause herself more damage.

If you have some Metacam I would give her a dose and get her to a Vet first thing tomorrow

Sending vibes for her

She had a VHD vaccine about two weeks ago and she is estimated to be between 14-18 months. How could a VHD vaccine affect her foreleg? She is confined in a pen just now and as I type she is scrabbling in her hay with both paws. I held her in my arms to examine her leg better and the one thing I noticed is that it flops at a joint (elbow or wrist?) and there is a lump like rounded bone which is more pronounced when the leg is flopped. Saying that there is a similar lump on her other leg so I think this is a socket :? She has no control over the limp leg.

I took some photos of her leg, its the flopped one and she was upside down for the briefest time possible.

OrlaLimp3.jpg

OrlaLimp2.jpg

OrlaLimp1.jpg

Some Rabbits get a post vaccination limp after receiving the *CYLAP* VHD Vaccine. But it usually occurs within 24 hours of vaccination and lasts about 2-3 days.

It may be a dislocation ( carpal or metacarpal maybe :?)

Some Rabbits get a post vaccination limp after receiving the *CYLAP* VHD Vaccine. But it usually occurs within 24 hours of vaccination and lasts about 2-3 days.

It may be a dislocation ( carpal or metacarpal maybe :?)

Thanks for sticking with this thread Jane :D Do you think she may have dislocated her leg by jumping off something or grappling something? I saw her husbun grapple his way up the run panel the other day like a cat but he is fine and I don't think she is the type to do that sort of thing although of course I am not with her 24/7 so anything is possible.

I mean to ask, I don't have metacam so do you think she will be ok during the night or am I best getting her to a vet now? I can take her first thing in the morning but I'm worried about her feeling pain overnight.

She could have injured herself jumping down from something or digging, anything is possible.

If she has previously been unused to exercise (I dont know her history) then injury may well be more likely to occur.

She could have injured herself jumping down from something or digging, anything is possible.

If she has previously been unused to exercise (I dont know her history) then injury may well be more likely to occur.

Hmm I suppose she might be unused to exercise. I don't know her full history either but she was kept in an outdoor hutch at Tameside Rescue and then in an indoor pen with lots of binkying room at my SIL until she came up to me where she has a run with different levels and access outdoors onto a patio with some toys.

Is there any reason why I can hear a clicking when she runs about? Is that associated with arthritis for example?

Farplace I think I will call the vet at the very least as I'm very worried even though she does seem in herself.

Hmm I suppose she might be unused to exercise. I don't know her full history either but she was kept in an outdoor hutch at Tameside Rescue and then in an indoor pen with lots of binkying room at my SIL until she came up to me where she has a run with different levels and access outdoors onto a patio with some toys.

Is there any reason why I can hear a clicking when she runs about? Is that associated with arthritis for example?

Farplace I think I will call the vet at the very least as I'm very worried even though she does seem in herself.

I think dislocation is the most likely. I hope the Vet can be of help, I expect he/she will just advise Metacam and rest tonight and to get her to your usual Vet first thing in the morning

I have to go to bed now as I be cream crackered !!

Sending vibes for her xx

Sorry, I have only just seen this. I hope she its ok tonight. If she has everything close at hand then there shouldn't be too much moving around. Let us know what the vet says. Floppy had a broken front leg at about four months old and it healed without problems.

I think dislocation is the most likely. I hope the Vet can be of help, I expect he/she will just advise Metacam and rest tonight and to get her to your usual Vet first thing in the morning

I have to go to bed now as I be cream crackered !!

Sending vibes for her xx

Thank you Jane, hope you have a good sleep xx

Sorry, I have only just seen this. I hope she its ok tonight. If she has everything close at hand then there shouldn't be too much moving around. Let us know what the vet says. Floppy had a broken front leg at about four months old and it healed without problems.

:shock:

How did Floppy cope, was he/she ever in pain that you knew of?

:shock:

How did Floppy cope, was he/she ever in pain that you knew of?

He was in much more pain than she is which makes it likely it is not broken. One minute he was running around the kitchen the next he was sitting holding a paw at an odd angle. He wouldn't move or eatand thankfully the vet was still open -it was Saturday.

He was in over the weekend and came home on the monday. He had a lovely pink bandage and the only thing they could make work as a splint was two magnum lolly sticks!:lol:

Back