• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Bun tonight - advice please

Bumblebee Megatron

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

I have two bucks - recently bonded (Oct 2011). They love each other. They've been out all day, playing. Absolutely fine. But this evening when we went to give them their dinner, the youngest wasn't interested at all. This is completely out of character. He definitely isn't quite right.

So off to the vets first thing (he has eaten today thankfully).

My question is - should I take them both together to the vets so that the youngest is more comforted?

Very sad - poor little chap.

Thanks

I always take mine with their friends unless there is a reason not to.

If he isn't eating/pooing, however, he may need a vet tonight and waiting util tomorrow might not be desirable.

Yes, the problem is they can go downhill pretty fast so it's always better to get them in as soon as you notice the difference that way you get a head start on treatment. I feel for you I had an emergency dash to the vet yesterday afternoon with one of mine, who now has a case of Bloat :cry:

Try to get him too a vet tonight if you can.Tomorrow can be too late as bunnies can go downhill ever so fast.
Vibes and luck being sent.xx

Buns can go downhill really quickly if they stop eating. What comes out is as important as what goes in, so if he is not pooping either definitely get him to vet as soon as possible.

Is he sitting hunched up?

Have you tried tempting him with his favourite treat, to just check you aren't worrying? It could be he is just not hungry (I do hope this is the case!)

If he still refuses, I agree...vets tonight rather than tomorrow x

Aww poor little chap.. They certainly have excellent timing don't they? If you can get him to the vets last night it would be so much better for him. Sending lots of healing quick vibes xx

Help I don't know what to do. He's laying down and panting. He is an outside bun - it would be too dangerous to bring him in right? Vets not answering, just ringing and ringing

Yes, having insurance makes these decisions so much easier doesn't it. Hope all goes well at the vet, let us know how he gets on x

Help I don't know what to do. He's laying down and panting. He is an outside bun - it would be too dangerous to bring him in right? Vets not answering, just ringing and ringing

Does your vet have an out of hours service? Our vets use VETS Now as they arne't there 24 hours a day.

if you bring him in, then he will need to stay in until the weather is warmer, but if he is in pain, then his body is likely to shut down and he will need heat to help him through. Is there a cooler room to place him in with a snugglesafe? Or where you can sit and hold him?

Keep trying the vets.

Thanks everyone!

God that was horrible! After trying for over half an hour they picked up - and that was their emergency out of hours number! Grrr.

Just dropped him off - little beggar munched on a bit of grass as we got there (he's been in a few times before and always tries to look well by eating when he arrives!). He has two ulcers on either side of his tongue, poor little chap :cry: The vet said they are really, really fresh and literally only just there which will explain why he was fine earlier. Dental booked for tomorrow. Good bye £200+ as a £68 call out fee so everything else on top - gulp!! Good job I love the little fella! No food for us this month!! But as long as he's in no pain, I don't care

Oh what a relief for you that they eventually picked up the phone! Have they kept him in, or have you got to take him back tomorrow? His poor tongue sounds so sore, hopefully the dental will sort things out! x

They said they could give him an injection and I could take him home and bring him back for the dental tomorrow but I opted to keep him in as it's a hospital and there's a nurse on duty all night. She can keep trying to syringe feed him. Need his gut working properly so he's okay with the anaesthetic. Scary. I hate dentals! I'm sure he is okay now as they would have given him some pain relief - at least he's in no pain at present x

Back