• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed?...

Poppy_Rabbit

New Kit
Hello,

I am new to the forum so firstly Hi to everyone :D I just got my little bunny today and shes gorgeous! She is 8 weeks old and we were told she is a standard rabbit but I didnt know if that was a breed or just reffering to the size? So if anyone know's what breed or colour she looks we would love to know :) She has settled really well and seems really chilled, anyway heres the photos:

iphonepiccies036-2.jpg

iphonepiccies038-1.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Nawww how cute :love: There is a breed and colour called harlequin, your rabbit has the colouring but as the breed isn't very popular I doubt she's a purebred harlequin, you could just say harlequin cross though :)

she is soo cute! big for 8 weeks tho, so im guessing she is going to be a bigg bun! Just one thing, I wouldn't keep her on sawdust! most people on here don't keep buns on sawdust x

Thank-You for all the replies and lovley comments on Poppy it's nice to know her colour etc :) She is a little cutie :love:

Thanks for the advice regarding the bedding - what bedding is best for bunnies? Im all new to this only used to guinea pigs!

Thank-You for all the replies and lovley comments on Poppy it's nice to know her colour etc :) She is a little cutie :love:

Thanks for the advice regarding the bedding - what bedding is best for bunnies? Im all new to this only used to guinea pigs!

My bunnies are in an unheated conservatory atm. They have total freedom so I use a couple of litter trays. Both are lined with newspaper and then a good layer of hay on top.

Others use megazorb or other options. No doubt you will get more ideas.

Best of luck with adorable Poppy. xx

She is so pretty :love: For bedding I use newspaper to line the bottom of the cage/hutch and then put lots of hay on top. I use the same method in all their litter trays too :wave:xx

Aww she is adorable!!!

And has the same name as my bun!

I use news paper and hay too. Makes cleaning a whole lot easier to. Unless bum decides to shred every layer of paper :evil:

She is lovely, I agree with the others about harlequin :) Most rabbits, particularly pet shop rabbits are just mixes of lots of breeds, randomly bred.

Noones yet mentioned the actual reason not to use sawdust so here it is... the dust can cause respiritory problems (although you can get dust extracted shavings) but also because they release what are called phenols (that lovely woody smell comes from the phenols), which can also cause respiritory problems but evidence also points to them causing problems with the liver and other organs. Small animals that are kept on sawdust also seem to be more at risk when under general anesthetic. This all applies to any small animal that has its face near the shavings, although I believe rats are affected the worst. Different woods have different levels of phenols, and cedar shavings are often said to be safe because the levels of phenols in them are lower, but they are impossible to find in the UK, although you can get them in the US.

As for alternatives, I'd say megazorb would be best until she is litter trained, then just newspaper or blankets with megazorb in the litter tray. If she eats a lot of the newspaper you would want to avoid it though, some buns seem to love eating things they shouldnt! You may also want to lino the floor of the hutch, as it will stop wee soaking into the wood (which can make it stink) and also makes it easier to clean. If you cant get megazorb at the moment then carefresh is easily available at most pet shops, but it is more expensive. Megazorb is actually a horse bedding and so comes in large sacks, you can buy it at some horse/farm feed places or online. I get mine here: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Litter.11/Megazorb.174.html Of course lots of hay is good bedding too, it will keep her warm and she needs to eat a pile the size of herself every day to keep her teeth from developing painful spurs and to keep her tummy healthy. The site I linked has lots of different types of hay, so you can try her with some to see which types she likes best (they do a sample pack which is useful for this), and variety is good. Hay is the most important part of a rabbits diet and they should have it available at all times.

Ah I see thank-you very much for clearing that up :) I will change her bedding tomorrow to something more suitable as dont want to cause her unnecessary problems and hopefully she won't be a paper chewer :lol:

Shes gonna be a big girl I think!! Shes got to grow into those ears!!

When shes about 6 months old, you might notice she gets bad tempered.Dont be worried...its just hormones.The best thing you can do is to get her speyed as this will prevent cancers and nasty infections of all her lady bits!!

Just an idea, but have you decided on a vet for her?? Why not put up a thread asking for a bunny savvy vet in your area (if you havent got one).Alot of vets dont know so much about bunnies with tummies and teeth problems.

Shes a lovely girl and Im wishing you lots of happy years with her.Keep the pics coming!!!xxx

Thank-You for the advice and lovley comments :) I will deffinatly be getting her spayed when shes old enough to keep her healthy!
I have a good vet near to me that I have used for my guinea pigs and she was extremly good with them - esp when one needed an emergany op -so hopefully she will be good for Poppy too but I will deffinatly check before :)

I am going to look into getting her a bigger hutch when shes a little older esp as it seems shes going to be a big girl!

Back