• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please

lucy24

Mama Doe
im slightly panicking as honey is still not eating hay! her poos are dark and slodgy. i just cant get her eating more! its sunday i dont drive what can i do? someone said feed fibreplex but i havent got any so is there a sunstitute?

shes eating veg,banana, leaves and pellets. she had half an eggcup full of pellets this morning and half a banana with antuibiotic in it. a bit of brocoli(enough to fit in your hand.)
no normal poos really their all just very black :(
no meds other than the antibiotics which i only gave today-for hr nose and bite through the ear.

I think I would be more inclined to take out everything and just leave hay.hay is the largest percentage of a bunnies diet.
If she has to take meds, then the banana is ok, but Id be more inclined to wrap her in a burrito and syringe it.
This way I would know hay is the diet and the meds are being taken.
Just while shes poorly.

thanks yeah will make sure i keep her hay fresh and cut down on the rest then. i managed to trickher a bit as i put some pureed veg on the hay and shes having a bit now. i can hear her munching lol

It will be all the sugar/carbs that are upsetting her gut flora, especially whilst on abx

I would stop all veg/fruit and definitely no more banana. Half a banana is a MASSIVE amount for a Bunny and enough to make even an otherwise 'well' Rabbit poorly.

Try crushing up some pellets to make a 'dust' and mix it in with some hay.

thanks jacks jane- will try that too. :) honetly my room is a zoo at the minute which hay food toys and syringes EVERYWHERE:roll:

Back