• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and static

Vita

Mama Doe
In the last few weeks I've noticed static shocks fairly frequently when stroking Ada. Understandably, she doesn't like them and jumps.

I'm not sure why they're happening and if there's anything I can do to stop them.

I have short hair, I mostly wear cotton - and just now when there was static again, I know I was wearing only cotton. My sheets are cotton, most of the chairs are leather. She is in a room with a stone tiled floor (though she does have synthetic blankets in her pen).
I'm not sure where so much static is coming from (not that I know a great deal about it). Is it just the blankets? She is not on them when the static shocks happen.

I used to be very static-y when I was a kid but we had loads of artificial fibres in our clothes and in the furniture then, and I mostly haven't been since I moved away.

I'd like to know a bit more about it too. I have the same problem, mostly with the foster cats in the spare room. It's annoying when you're working on bonding with them and you give them a shock, it really sets the relationship back every time it happens. :(

Just having done about static electric in science it happens when two insulators rub together, so yes it's probably your rabbits fur against the blanket, not sure how you can 'earth' a rabbit though :oops:

When it gets really cold here, both my buns go really static, and they look look like hedgehogs after a good rub-down :lol:

In the summer, everything is fine...

Back