• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FOX Warning in Snow Areas

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Whilst there is snow on the ground many of the small mammals that rural and suburban (and even urban) foxes rely on for a large part of their diet are not around. Mice, rats, etc and even pigeons will try and hide away and keep warm - making it more difficult for foxes to get their normal diet.

So they will be prepared to put more effort and time into getting into hutches and runs - and will also come out at unexpected times of day to do so.

I know its fun seeing buns in the snow but make sure they are secure at all times !!!

You can also 'use' the snow to see whether foxes do visit your garden/locality by looking for their tracks - may be an eyeopener for some people that think there are no foxes in their area!!!

Good advice I can't really check as my dogs paw prints look the same as a foxs though

Foxes do have distinctive paw prints - you should be able to to tell the difference . . try looking on some of the websites that show various pawprints (wildlife websites)

I hate snow as our foxwatches dont work in the snow and even the electric fence will struggle in this weather.

Foxes do have distinctive paw prints - you should be able to to tell the difference . . try looking on some of the websites that show various pawprints (wildlife websites)

I hate snow as our foxwatches dont work in the snow and even the electric fence will struggle in this weather.

Last year when it snowed I thought I found some suspicious looking footprints... until I followed them up to the cat flap. :roll:

I'll keep a look out though. I know there are foxes in the area but I'm not sure whether they visit my garden.

:thumb: Good post parsnipbun.
I also use the tracks to see where the foxes are getting in. In winter they come across the fields into our gardens just as you describe. It's useful for me to know that they come along the side of the house which is a blind spot from parts of the garden.

I also use the alarm calls of birds as predator warnings. I suspect that black birds have a specific fox call. A short sharp "chink". They certainly distingush between aerial & ground predators.

anyone got any photos, how can you tell the differnce between animals ie dog or cat to fox, would love to knwo more

Last edited:

My pleasure mini lop1. If you click on the X there's an article underneath the diagram with a range of sounds foxes make. Although a Tasmanian article our foxes make the same sounds, & many more. A local fox makes an unvoiced woo woo sound. I'd no idea what is was until I caught him doing it twice!
Some are quite spooky.

seen a fox this morning and this evening one ran infront of our car.
although we have heard them at night we haven't actually seen any for weeks/months untill now!
we've had about 10 cm of snow which fell in one night.

:shock:

thanks for this useful thread parsnipbun although I sadly don't have any buns it is useful to know :D

Back