• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting outdoor bunnies out in the snow to play?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Tomorrow if there's no wind so it's not too cold I might let Beano and Gordon out for a little bit to play, see if they like it. My garden is not bunny proof so I'll have to get their run out of the garage as I put it in their for the winter to keep it dry. Obviously if either of them show any discomfort/they don't like it I'll take them back in. I'm not sure to do it though, how long should I let them out for if they are enjoying it? I worry about them getting cold despite them being kept in their shed since when I got them so they have winter coats and I'll dry them off afterwards but is it entirely safe for them?

It should be safe if it's not for long. Not sure how long to let them out for though, mine always have access to their hutch as well so they just hop back inside if they don't like it (Pipkin doesn't like the snow). Maybe put a box of hay or some sort of shelter in the run so they can go in there if they get cold. If they spend all the time in the box you'll know they're probably not a fan!

I'm going to try Joey in the morning? :D Dd has already said she's making a snowman and a Joey sized igloo for him :lol:

Just found this youtube clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-T4U4BGF2A - not sure about the throwing bit at the start :? :( but love the way the buns stick there faces right in the snow - happy buns! (.... I'm hoping it's not that deep here in the morning though!!!)

They should be okay for 10-15 mins! If it's quite windy, consider covering 1-2 sides, and make sure they have something warm and dry to sit on once they come in (vet bed, blankets or towels etc) to dry their pawsies off!

I won't even let my outdoor buns out in the snow for more than 15 mins, as I don't want to risk them getting too wet paws.

Oh and make sure there's somewhere they can stand that's not on snow!

Poppy's run is attached to her shed with 24 hour access and she is loving it, I might have to lock her cat flap up tonight as she has hardly been in her shed since it started :D

Back