• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely bun needs somewhere to go - currently outside in the snow.

Muskrat

Young Bun
Hello kind rabbitty folk. Sorry to double post this! 3 bunnies were handed in to the dog rescue I work at recently and one of my colleagues has taken the 2 lionheads home and left the "boring" one on it's own :evil:. It's in a concrete puppy kennel with a cat basket, blankets some hay and some food, but it's been snowing steadily all day here and it isn't (as far as I know) being allowed inside the kennel because it's mid refurbishment and unsafe.

Can anyone help? It can come here for a short period as long as we know it's got somewhere to move on to fairly soonish, as I have a dog who would love a bunny to chase around. I'm in North Yorkshire, but I can drive it within 2ish hours of our house if need be. Not sure of the sex or neuter status, looks fully grown to me.

Thank you!

Aww poor bun :( I don't know how your colleague could take 2 and leave one on it's own, that's horrible :( I wish I could help, hope someone comes along who can xx

When you say outside - do you mean literally as in not under cover?

Whereabouts in North Yorkshire?

I've got accommodation but I don't want the rehoming responsibility but could provide safe haven if the rabbit was on a rescue waiting list.

It will be freezing on its own if its used to being with two others . . that is SO sad that someone split it from its friends:cry:

Awful :cry: Bunny Buddy - that is such a kind offer, I hope a rescue can offer back up, i wish we could but after yesterdays intake it will be ages before anything else comes in here :( xx

The kennel has a roof, but is mesh on 3 sides so the snow easily gets in. There wasn't too much snow in there when I left, but we've had a lot more since. I gave it a big upside down box full of blankets at the end of my shift so hopefully it's being a clever bun and snuggled down in the relative warmth.. And hopefully my boss has thought to keep replacing the water 'cause it was freezing over pretty much immediately. I know it's probably been a hutch bun so is likely to be quite hardy, but I felt awful leaving it there :(

Bun hopefully has a rescue place now, thank you rabbits united :D

The rabbit's still there today and will be coming home with Muskrat at the end of the day as a safety precaution against someone else rehoming it to an unsuitable home. S/he will be staying for a couple of nights until there's time available to drive to the rescue (thankyou!).

S/he'll be setting up camp in our living room. Don't let the name of the room fool you into thinking it's an unsuitable place to temporarily house a most-likely-outdoor bunny. It's unheated (rat cage in front of the radiator means it can't be turned on) and there's a whistling window providing continuous ventilation from outside. We do have a plug-in heater but that's used more for human benefit for a couple of hours a day than animal. We can easily not turn it on while there's a rabbit staying. So yes, it's inside, but frequently we can see our breath in there, so it's not warm! Also we don't really have anywhere else and leaving it where it is at the minute feels very risky, if even for a couple more days.

I'm just off to wash (brr) and set up the dog crate and possibly also argue with some C+C pannels.
Hay we have (rats have it as nesting material) and I know that should be the majority of the diet. What veggies are rabbit-suitable in small amounts? And what sort of amounts at that? I assume it can cope for a couple of days without pellets.

Last edited:
Bunny has arrived! S/he's quite happy and has had a nice hop around the house acapae/my housemate has made! S/he's had an eat and a drink and isn't at all frightened of dog and cat smells.

Here's bunny:
03022012315.jpg

and here's the bunny hotel (acapae may have gone a little overboard, but bun seems pleased!)
04022012377.jpg

What an absolutely gorgeous bunny :love:. So glad you managed to sort him/her out with a rescue space. For non-rabbity people you have managed to come up with a pretty good temporary home there, I'm sure most rabbits would be jealous :D

ETA: I sent acapae a guide for sexing yesterday if you are curious and want to give it a bash :wave:

Shush you! I originally just got out the dog crate, but from rabbit pov it looked tiny. In fact Rabbit is bigger than s/he looked in the photo Muskrat showed me last night, so could only be able to do a hop or so in the crate. Since we had the C+C ingredients anyway.... :lol:

Photo taken pre-rabbit from the other side (but in daylight!)
Rabbit5.jpg

Rabbit2.jpg

Rabbit3.jpg

Rabbit6.jpg

Rabbit4.jpg

Well done :wave: You've done a fantastic job there. :thumb: I'm so glad that bunny is now safe.

Aww, Bunny is lovely! :love:

The temporary home looks great, well done! :) Is Bunny eating a lot of hay? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about veg. Maybe a very tiny amount of herbs or greens, but keep an eye on changes in the poops. Bunny's tummy might not be used to veg.

If Bunny is an unneutered male you'll be able to see the testicles quite easily! :oops: If you can hold Bunny long enough to have a quick check between the legs!

You're doing a great job xx

Bunny is gorgeous! And I think she's a girl. :)
the cage is amazing too, one very lucky bunny.

(She needs a name). :D

Thank you Helen :) We've gone for giving a bowl of the food s/he came with (cruddy Wagg museli) for familarity and hay so far. The hay has been nibbled a bit, but I'm not sure how much has actually been eaten. S/he came with a bag of hay too though, so presumably has had some in the diet until now.

Your doing a wonderful job looking after her/him. What a shame she was taken away from her/his friends that must have been heartbreaking for the poor little bun. Keep up the good work, your doing great :Dxxx

Back