• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah is at the vet's again :( He's home.

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday morning I woke up to Elijah was racing around, binkying, racing up and down his shelves at high speed, generally being really exuberant and very noisy, an hour later he mugged me for a Fenugreek Crunchie, still a very happy little soul.

At 11.00 I went to visit and he stayed under his shelf, didn't want anything to eat and was doing the belly ache routine :cry::cry:

I gave him an hour to see if he could get over it and then got him to the vets. I didn't leave it long as he had admissions for stasis/obstructions 5 weeks and 7 weeks ago. He had a blood glucose reading of 14 on arrival :( Not as bad as previous though as he was 16/17 before. Fortunately by 3 hours later it had come down to 10 and he was more settled. He hasn't eaten overnight though so they are keeping him until he eats for himself. :cry:

I'm not particularly worried about this episode but there was a suggestion that there is an underlying problem and he may need to have investigative surgery if it keeps happening. 3 in 7 weeks is not good.:cry:

Poor Elijah.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't offer any advice but I'm sending vibes for Elijah and hope he's back to his normal self very soon!

Poor little man, what a worry. :(:(:( I hope he's well enough to come home soon. xx

Thanks. He's been offered the famous banquet but not interested. :(

:( I can offer him some special 'Auntie Karen' vibes. I'd offer him a big smoochy kiss to go with it, but he'd probably turn his nose up. ;) Let us know how he gets on.

Thanksie all for the vibes and good wishes. :love::love:

Lijah is very bright and has trashed his cage this morning :roll:

He still isn't eating though, or only tiny amounts. He's still being syringe fed. After discussion with FHB this morning we both felt that he was better staying there.

I would stress him too much with syringe feeding as he's awkward and I'm useless:oops:; Frances wants to be sure he's eating on his own before he comes home, and the roads are a bit dicy, so all in all better that he stays there.

She said again about believing there is an underlying problem such as a kink in his gut somewhere but doesn't feel there is any benefit in having a look as she doesn't think there'd be anything to improve the situation by finding out anyway, so it will be just a case of limiting the risks and being vigilant.

In the meantime I've wanted to make some changes to his home and it really needed dismantling and starting again, so I'm going to be busy ...

So, he's most probably coming home tomorrow.

Thanksie all for the vibes and good wishes. :love::love:

Lijah is very bright and has trashed his cage this morning :roll:

He still isn't eating though, or only tiny amounts. He's still being syringe fed. After discussion with FHB this morning we both felt that he was better staying there.

I would stress him too much with syringe feeding as he's awkward and I'm useless:oops:; Frances wants to be sure he's eating on his own before he comes home, and the roads are a bit dicy, so all in all better that he stays there.

She said again about believing there is an underlying problem such as a kink in his gut somewhere but doesn't feel there is any benefit in having a look as she doesn't think there'd be anything to improve the situation by finding out anyway, so it will be just a case of limiting the risks and being vigilant.

In the meantime I've wanted to make some changes to his home and it really needed dismantling and starting again, so I'm going to be busy ...

So, he's most probably coming home tomorrow.

Do you feed Elijah Pellets ?

I ask as I have come to the decision that some Rabbits just cannot cope with them. I have had a few stasis prone Buns who improved dramatically when I changed them from pellets to a *very small* amount of mix.

Not advocating this as the norm,
but it is certainly something I will continue to do for anyBun for whom any pellets in the diet just does not suit them.

Do you feed Elijah Pellets ?

I ask as I have come to the decision that some Rabbits just cannot cope with them. I have had a few stasis prone Buns who improved dramatically when I changed them from pellets to a *very small* amount of mix.

Not advocating this as the norm,
but it is certainly something I will continue to do for anyBun for whom any pellets in the diet just does not suit them.

Thanks, I'll add it to my list of possibilities.

Yes, he gets Excel. He gets them about 9pm and the last couple of these episodes have been about 12 hours later. The previous I found him early morning in pain, others have been in the evening before/after pellets :?

To be honest he doesn't need pellets at all and it may be an idea to try him without. I do also have some Rabbit Royale he could have a smidgen of that.

I've a very bad confession to make though - he has had one of the cardboard tubes that are 'safe for rabbits' and made for rabbits. I've never seen him eat it but he does enjoy shreading it. Now that the penny had dropped that that might be the culprit I've taken it off him. I'm ashamed I've not blamed it before :cry: F does however believe he does have an underlying problem but that that *might* have been triggering the episodes. I hope the poor little soul hasn't been going through this because of my stupidity :(

I hope Elijah is well enough to come home tomorrow, and that the roads are clear enough for you to go and get him! :D

Try not to beat yourself up about the cardboard; none of us are perfect. ;):D You didn't think he was eating it and now that you've realised it might be contributing to Elijah's problems, you've taken it away.

Thanks, I'll add it to my list of possibilities.

Yes, he gets Excel. He gets them about 9pm and the last couple of these episodes have been about 12 hours later. The previous I found him early morning in pain, others have been in the evening before/after pellets :?

To be honest he doesn't need pellets at all and it may be an idea to try him without. I do also have some Rabbit Royale he could have a smidgen of that.

I've a very bad confession to make though - he has had one of the cardboard tubes that are 'safe for rabbits' and made for rabbits. I've never seen him eat it but he does enjoy shreading it. Now that the penny had dropped that that might be the culprit I've taken it off him. I'm ashamed I've not blamed it before :cry: F does however believe he does have an underlying problem but that that *might* have been triggering the episodes. I hope the poor little soul hasn't been going through this because of my stupidity :(

Patrick ended up with an impacted cecum because I gave him a cardboard tube which he decided to eat. He was poorly for a week and at one stage it was almost a PTS case.

Needless to say I now never leave cardboard of any sort with anyBun without supervision !! I felt dreadful too.

Thanks so much all for your kind words :love::love:

Patrick ended up with an impacted cecum because I gave him a cardboard tube which he decided to eat. He was poorly for a week and at one stage it was almost a PTS case.

Needless to say I now never leave cardboard of any sort with anyBun without supervision !! I felt dreadful too.

After seeing both Artie and Rudy eating cardboard I don't give them boxes etc any more but fool that I am didn't class these tubes as cardboard because they are allegedly safe, purposely made safe for bunnies, ... but then the straw-based cat litter that Binky ate was supposedly safet too :(

Thanks everybody for the vibes.

The little sweety is back home now and was nibbling green oat hay within minutes of getting home. :love::love:

Great news. :D:D:D

Elijah says fanksies Auntie Karen.

He's just let me give him a snuggle and been tooth purring. His chin's all crusty, bless, I think that is from putting up a battle with the syringe feeding, it kind of adds to the sympathy vote he's getting :love::love:

Back