• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaseline and sudocreme?

saffron24

Young Bun
Hi, i was wondering, can you use vaseline or sudocrem on a rabbit? which would be best if so? He has small cuts on his feet. Are they safe to use on a rabbit? thanks :)

I have used both on rabbits without ant problems. As with most things it old be best if bun doesn't lick it.

What sort of cuts does bun have on his feet? How did they occur? Just wondering as although these creams can be used, they may not be the most appropriate treatment. Is it sore hocks?

well, i think it is sore hocks, although not sure. we took him to the vet, but it wasnt our usual vet, it was a trainee, and he didnt know what they were so ive had to research myself. do you have any advice on treating sore hocks? thanks

Ok.

No I can't say I have any experience of treating sore hocks but I have learned a couple of things from watching threads on here!

One is that rabbits often have a bare patch on their hocks that is pink and roughened but this is not really sore hocks, keep an eye on it though.

Rex rabbits are most prone it seems.

Applying cream is not a good idea as it softens the skin you want to toughen up.

You should keep your buns nails trimmed to a suitable length to prevent undue pressure on the hock area.

Disability or deformity of skeleton can cause bun to be prone to sore hocks.

You should take a look at buns bedding, provide areas covered with vet bed, perhaps over folded towels where bun can rest.

I expect there is a sticky over in health you will find helpful.

Jacks Jane will be a good name to look out for on sore hock threads as she has much experience of treating the condition.

I hope this is of some help, I'll go look for the sticky for you.

Back