• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having to take in another rabbit, but there's a problem

CoffeePuffin

Warren Scout
I've texted Angie for some advice but am going to make a post here too.

My other half's sister is due to give birth in the next week or so. She had a guinea pig and a rabbit (which I know you're not supposed to mix) in a hutch outside. Now, the guinea pig died a few weeks ago (from how cold it is outside I'm thinking). She wants me to take the rabbit, because she hasn't got the time to look after it now and I'm guessing she's also worried about it dying.

I can take it, but I'm worrying about putting it outside because it is absolutely freezing and I don't own hutch covers. The rabbit isn't spayed, so I can't put her in with my neutured indoor male. I also don't have any other crates or cages other than the big dog crate that my male is in.

She doesn't want it to go to a rescue or somewhere else, because she still wants to see it etc.

I don't really know what I'm asking here... Some advice, or if anyone nearby, by any stroke of luck has an indoor cage that I could use.

i may get flamed down , but some people have had nuetered male unspayed female pairings before?
although the bunny would need spaying in the future for her own health?
obviously i dont know the personalitys of the buns etc?
is there a way of keeping the bun indoors in a bathroom or bedroom or something?

i may get flamed down , but some people have had nuetered male unspayed female pairings before?
is there a way of keeping the bun indoors in a bathroom or bedroom or something?

Bathroom is far too small, we'd end up stepping on the bun. And the only other room we have spare is the study and has lots of wires, we also have no way to section off part of a room.

I'd buy a cage, but I don't get paid until the end of the month.

Bathroom is far too small, we'd end up stepping on the bun. And the only other room we have spare is the study and has lots of wires, we also have no way to section off part of a room.

Ask on Freecycle? (Though if there was one it would probably be a small petshop cage)

what accomodation is the sister in law using for her?
could you keep her in that just until you can give her more space?

I also don't want to try and bond the female with my male because we will only be looking after it until Michael's sister has settled with her baby and wants the rabbit back.

Guineas don't do well in the cold but rabbits do.
If she's used to being outside I personally think she'd be okay. It would be more of a shock to the system to come inside.
What sort of hutch do you have outside? Fill it with lots of hay, cover it with a towel and then a bin bag as a make shift hutch cover. I am heating up paving slabs in the oven and covering them with fleeces as heat pads and the bunnies love sitting on them.
Then you can look for better accommodation, but I think that should be fine. Maybe extra pellets to get a bit of weight on her.

She just called me and apparently wants me to keep the rabbit permenantly. Apparently there is a run attached to the hutch, so I'm thinking bring the bun inside (have the room cool), and put her in the run next to my boy's crate. Gradually bond them since she is staying, and then have her spayed in the next few months.

She just called me and apparently wants me to keep the rabbit permenantly. Apparently there is a run attached to the hutch, so I'm thinking bring the bun inside (have the room cool), and put her in the run next to my boy's crate. Gradually bond them since she is staying, and then have her spayed in the next few months.

Do you want to quarantine her first?

Do you want to quarantine her first?

What do you mean?

I plan to have her seperate (in the same room though), and keep an eye on her eating/bowl movements, behaviour. And then once I'm convinced she's alright, put the run against his crate so they can smell each other and then introduce them.

I agree with this, we had an un neutered female with a neutered male for a few weeks, we had no choice with a situation we were in at the time, they were fine.

She just brought her over. She's in a run and I've made it comfortable for her. She's very skinny (I can feel every part of her spine), has a poorly eye and barely any fur on her nails. Her nails also need doing. Going to take her to have a check over at the vets near the end of the month and get her vaccinations done. I'm not going to introduce her to mine until she's had her vacs.

I will post picture in the Stories and Photo's section in a minute.

What do you mean?

I plan to have her seperate (in the same room though), and keep an eye on her eating/bowl movements, behaviour. And then once I'm convinced she's alright, put the run against his crate so they can smell each other and then introduce them.

Just in case she has anything that can be passed onto your bun, you might want to keep them in separate rooms for a week or so until you're sure. :wave:

I totally agree with Jenova about quarantining. She is already showing signs of not being 100% and so if you don't quarantine her then you risk your boys catching something from her.

You need to keep her totally separate, wash your hands between handling, change clothes, use different items to clean the cage, etc. As my mum says 'beware of the invisibles'.

If you remember the advert for food poisoning a few years ago with the raw chicken and everywhere the person touches it highlighted and glowerd blue to show you how far it can pass and spread, that kind of thing.

A vet check ASAP would be sensible too, as well as four weeks quarantine.

Given she is show skinny, havig a warm snugglesafe available to her 24/7 would be sensible, as well as looking at upping her food too.

She's lucky to be taken on by you :)

Back