• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spiders

bumblicious

Warren Veteran
Im cleaning the hutch and run out and the bunnies are free ranging. Both Bumble and Bee binkied a few times and have been running round seeing them binky is the best :love:

Then I noticed the spiders have come down from the roof of the hutch (there's a space enclosed there that you can lift up that they live in unfortuntely I don't lift it cos then I can't see them) to actually in the hutch!!! There was 3 of them! I had to work around them to clean the hutch out it was awful!

Ruthie xxx

Aw thats horrible. One thing i hated in the summer with my old hutch was earwigs, i think thats what you call them

Oh my god I've never had them in the bunnies' house and I really hope I never will do I don't know what's worse them or spiders!

Ruthie xxx

Earwigs like to live in things made of wood and will often be found in hutches/runs but so far as I know they don't really do any harm. And while spiders may seem scary having them in hutch will be a huge bonus in the summer. They will eat their weight in flies and parasites that might otherwise harm the bunnies :D

Yep it was always in the sawdust I saw them. They dont do harm but you get a bloody fright when cleaning them out :lol:

Spiders eat the bad bugs, they're definitely the good guys! Lots of webs around the top of my large run, like a big mosquito net!

Earwigs feed on rotting things, completely harmless despite their looks, worst they can do is give you a pinch! I leave them be too, or just pick them up and relocate them, they just eat up things that would otherwise sit about and be manky and gross. They just do cleaning!

The roof of my hutch lifts up and there is a gap where the felt is stapled and overlapped on the under side. It is a hutch made by a neighbor so it is a little shabby. I had a spider move in there when it started getting colder and there is a big cobweb now. I let him stay because they can be useful with getting rid of any pesky flies :) and it is only one, no point in letting him freeze when he can be useful and wont cause any problems. I am not sure if he is still there. But I left the cobweb to help catch anything since it had been quite mild down here. I think just the one or two living in the roof space or something is alright. But if there is like an invasion and they are taking over the hutch then you need to get rid of them incase they start causing problems.

I know they're good for flies and whatnot but I just can't help being scared of them! Mostly they stay in the top roof bit that's hollow so I can't see them but yesterday and another day ages ago I saw them :shock: The thing is they're big ones not just small ones!

Ruthie xxx

Back