• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grumpy/unhappy/bitey boy bun

daisylou

Warren Scout
Domino and I lost Bluebelle 2 weeks ago and since then I have been trying to cuddle him happy every night but he seems to be getting grumpier and angrier every day. A couple of nights ago he bit me twice, so hard I yelped out and it now looks like I have 2 lovebites :shock:

He has never been a very cuddly bun since he was introduced to Bluebelle, they only needed each other. I have put in a cuddly toy for him but he is not interested. He just sits in his hay looking sad.

I had hoped to make him friendlier and then he could become more free-range (need to be able to catch him first) and really didn't want to get another bun but I'm now thinking that another girlie is going to be the only thing that will make him happy.

I can deal with his grumpiness as long as it doesn't become physical. He will only sit on me for 2 seconds now before trying to burrow on me and bite me.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

It sounds like he's suffering from being lonely and missing rabbit companionship. Rabbits are EXTREMELY social creates and can only talk to their own kind in a satisfying way.

He's possibly taking out his frustrations of being lonely and it's showing as aggression. You can't force a rabbit to become cuddly unfortunately, he's just being rabbity :)

You're best bet, really is another friend for him, but that in itself could bring its own problems, such as bonding (which a rescue could do for you) and neutralising your house of his scent.

What do you do when he digs/bites? Do you yelp, do you push him away? do you shout at him? Be honest, as we need all the facts to help :)

When he burrows on me I just pick him up and try to move him somewhere else on me where he will sit for a couple of seconds before starting again. When he bit me twice on my bare flesh I did yelp loudly, not in anger at him but just because I got such a fright and it was so sore.

He was friendly when I first got him and then when he bonded with Bluebelle he didn't want to know me. I didn't think at the time that he would have Bluebelle for less than a year.

There is a 2 year old girl bun near me that is looking for a home that I have thought about and I will get him a new gf if that's what it takes as I have made a commitment to have him. I suppose there is part of me though that doesn't keep wanting to go through the cycle of having 2 buns and then replacing one. I'm sorry if that sounds awful. I had Bojangles for 8 years and he had 3 girlfriends in that time and Domino was brought in as Bluebelle's new boybun after Bo died last year.

sounds like he is biting to tell you off rather than being mean. ive been bitten by rabbits who meant it and they draw blood. Lol! When Im sitting in my craft room/the rabbit room if the buns decide my feet are in their way they bite them to move me. i think he is doing similar, maybe telling you to let him go and stop trying to cuddle him. Try letting him come to you and do things in his own time.

Back