• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

kimmy and angelika have had a fight :-( - updated -buns separated :-(

kerina

Warren Scout
I went to clean them out this morning, and they were chasing. This is not unusual, they do sometimes chase, but that is usually all it is.

Kimmy went downstairs and I noticed there was blood on the ramp. On closer inspection, it seems that angelika has bitten kimmy's ear because it is bleedingm

I don't really know what to do now. They've been together since birth - they are sisters.

Can someone offer me any advice?

Thanks

Kerina xxx

Last edited:
Hi

First off the usual question is are they neutered?

I am afraid I've had so many stories of siblings falling out over time that it's not something that surprises me any longer.

Are they still together or have you split them?

Hi Duchess

Yes, they have both been neutered. They came from Starlights Rabbit Rescue in Essex 3 years ago now. They have just turned 4 years old.

They are together at the minute still, as all is calm - it was calm immediately afterwards, so I left them to it. Have checked them several times before leaving for work, and all was still fine. Kimmy was just sitting in the downstairs litter trays (next to Angelika), looking a bit miserable and fed up (which you would if you sister had just bitten your ear!). By the time i left for work, Kimmy was tucking into her hay with no problems.

They seem completely normal with each other again.

I'm baffled! As I say, in the 3 years they've been with me, i've seen chasing and fur pulling which never lasts more than half an hour, maybe once every 3 to 6 months. They've never hurt each other before.

The covers were down this morning (they have a clear plastic layer, and an outer sheet that makes it dark in there. I don't normally put the dark outer sheet down, but it was minus 9 here last night, so I put the outer cover down and shut them upstairs to try to keep them warm. The chasing started as soon as I lifted the covers - it was over in a matter of a minute - but Kimmy was left with a wounded ear.

Do you think I startled them?

:(

Kerina xxx

I also need to know what to do with Kimmy's ear. I left her alone this morning, as it had just happened, and she was clearly stressed - I didn't think grabbing her to investigate the ear closely would help.

I will have a good look at it tonight and bathe it.

If needs be, I'll have to take her to the vets in the morning.

Do they usually heal on their own? And is it likely that she'll have a scar on that ear?

She has such beautiful ears :cry:

Kerina xxx

I also need to know what to do with Kimmy's ear. I left her alone this morning, as it had just happened, and she was clearly stressed - I didn't think grabbing her to investigate the ear closely would help.

Do they usually heal on their own? And is it likely that she'll have a scar on that ear?

Kerina xxx

You shuold take her to a vet today, not leave it until tomorrow, in case she needs pain relief, or any anti-biotics for the wound or perhaps even some other attention.

And yes, she'll likely have a scar.

Hi Graham

I am at work now and won't be home until 6pm tonight - my vets is open until 7pm, so I will ring the vets in my lunch hour and make her an appointment. Do you think I should separate them, or leave them be and see how it goes??

Thanks

Kerina xxx

Update - i've made an appointment for Kimmy to see the vet at 6.20pm tonight - it's the earliest I could get. In the meantime, any advice over whether I should be separating them for good, or whether to stick with it would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Kerina xxx

I've taken kimmy to the vets tonight. She's going to be fine, but will have a badly disfigured ear. I've split them up - kimmy is a house bun now.
I'm so relieved that she's going to be okay.

Got to take her back to the vets tomorrow to be checked again and ti have some more painkillers and anti biotics, then I should be able to administer what she needs at home after that.

Thanks for the help folks

Xxx

I am glad you have had her at the vet. Two does together are tricky and can be very territorial. You may manage to rebond them although it will be a lengthy process. I wouldkeep them used to each others scent by swapping their litter trays over ever day in the meantime.

Kerina xxx

when this happened to my male sootie i took him to the vets because he had a hole and a split in his ear, luckily he wasnt in any pain but the vets gave me anitbiotics and told me to bathe the wounds in lukewarm salt water just to make sure it was clean.

the hole has healed now but he will obiously always have the split

She's been back to the vets this morning, and they're really happy with her progress. The vets did say that could try putting her under and stitching the ear, but I just can't put her through more stress - she's been through enough, and she's just as beautiful to me with a split in her ear as she was without it.

She's not had any more antibiotics at this stage, or painkillers because they didn't want to upset her tummy unnecessarily, as she is eating at the minute.

So I have to bathe her ear every day with hibiscrub and hope that she's a happy girl on her own for now. I can't do anything else - I know I can't stand the stress of rebonding them, and i don't think Kimmy will be up to it for a long time. She was so frightened, poor love.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Love

Kerina xxx

Back