• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why is this happening?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jims has stopped eating again, I knew he wasnt right when he came out to see me this evening, he wouldnt eat his herbs, tummy pressed and ran in to his toilet. I tried touching his tummy and he bolted.
We have administered the meds and he has had a big tummy rub and has eaten a few herbs but he is not right, I am so worried about him. :(
I have a really bad feeling :cry:

Hi Rachylou,

I understand about how frustrating and stressful it is. My rabbit, Jack, has been refusing to eat as well and is somewhat bloated. We've been back and forth to the vets.

do you have any critical care you can feed him if he doesn't start eating? Is he going to see the vets in the morning? It is such a worry~! I wish I had more advice to offer but didn't want to read and run.

I hope he feels better soon.

Carissa

Has he poo'd ?

What comes out is just as important as what is going in.

If he has not poo'd then administering gut motility meds can only be done if you are certain there is no obstruction, so a full abdominal examination should always be done before giving prokinetics

Maybe he needs another Dental. If he has gradually been eating less hay over the last few weeks due to the formation of elongated crowns/spurs then his gut motility will also be effected- hence the recurrent episodes of gut slow down.

Given his history I would start at the top end and get his teeth *thoroughly* checked. This may involve a GA if a full and comprehensive examination is to be carried out. So much can be missed on an examination done on a conscious Rabbit. Treatment may well involve reducing the length of/reshaping the molar crowns. It is 100% impossible to do this other than under GA.

I would get him to a Vet today, even if he appears to eat a bit more again as given that he is having recurrent problems just treating the symptoms is not going to help in the longterm.

Good luck

Has he poo'd ?

What comes out is just as important as what is going in.

If he has not poo'd then administering gut motility meds can only be done if you are certain there is no obstruction, so a full abdominal examination should always be done before giving prokinetics

Maybe he needs another Dental. If he has gradually been eating less hay over the last few weeks due to the formation of elongated crowns/spurs then his gut motility will also be effected- hence the recurrent episodes of gut slow down.

Given his history I would start at the top end and get his teeth *thoroughly* checked. This may involve a GA if a full and comprehensive examination is to be carried out. So much can be missed on an examination done on a conscious Rabbit. Treatment may well involve reducing the length of/reshaping the molar crowns. It is 100% impossible to do this other than under GA.

I would get him to a Vet today, even if he appears to eat a bit more again as given that he is having recurrent problems just treating the symptoms is not going to help in the longterm.

Good luck

This. And whilst under GA it would be worth getting some further Xrays to look for alternative pain sources x

This. And whilst under GA it would be worth getting some further Xrays to look for alternative pain sources x

Beat me to it. I'm all in favour of xrays where possible these days with bunnies that have the potential for underlying issues, in particular dental related, when there are repeated signs of something going wrong. Xrays, can give so much information tha can be missed or overlooked otherwise, or at best not found quickly enough.

Having opted for head xrays on a number of my rabbits (rescues) in recent months where I might once have just 'sucked it to see', the xrays saved me and the rabbits a lot of wasted tiime treating symptoms rather than the real cause.

Also xrays of his whole body can flag up other issues that can otherwise go undetected.

Beat me to it. I'm all in favour of xrays where possible these days with bunnies that have the potential for underlying issues, in particular dental related, when there are repeated signs of something going wrong. Xrays, can give so much information that can be missed or overlooked otherwise, or at best not found quickly enough.

Having opted for head xrays on a number of my rabbits (rescues) in recent months where I might once have just 'sucked it to see', the xrays saved me and the rabbits a lot of wasted tiime treating symptoms rather than the real cause.

Also xrays of his whole body can flag up other issues that can otherwise go undetected.

I hope Jimby is feeling better now xx

Thankyou Helen, yes thank God he is a lot better, it was actually quite scary last night, I thought I was going to loose him :cry:
I have had a long chat with the vets and he thinks it may well be his teeth so if this happens again then he will be booked in for a dental.

Thankyou Helen, yes thank God he is a lot better, it was actually quite scary last night, I thought I was going to loose him :cry:
I have had a long chat with the vets and he thinks it may well be his teeth so if this happens again then he will be booked in for a dental.

Why not get it done BEFORE it happens again. It would be MUCH better for him and much LESS of a risk than if he has to have a GA when not eating.

Back