• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something's not right.....

LKristalJ

Young Bun
So it seems like Moo is INTENT on making me worry incessantly about him!!!

Today I took him outside to run around and usually he runs around like a crazy lil guy, darting, turning, stopping suddenly.. So, I'm pretty sure this is what caused this problem..

He took off and I heard a loud bang.. When I went to see him, he was standing in one spot and then he basically just started going in circles, but backwards and sort of shaking his head.. Then he just sat down in one place.. And that's all he's doing.. Brought him inside on the carpet, in his cage.. Huddled in one spot.. He's not walking or hopping or anything.. He doesn't want grass, pellets, water or even apple.. That's the worrying part.. He usually goes crazy for apple..

Right now he's in his cage and he's being so quiet, completely uncharacteristic.. I know that something is wrong with him.. On the somewhat bright side (if you can call it that), he's not squealing or screaming..

So, I just did a little examination to see if he jumped when I touched anywhere.. And he does jump if I put pressure on his left underside of his belly.. Could it be that he skid on the concrete?? I don't know.. I am certainly worried..

Called the vet and he said to bring him in tomorrow morning at 8. He's staying in my room for the night.. But I don't know how I'd be able to sleep..

Any suggestions??

EDIT: He walked around very timidly, just a couple steps or so.. But somewhat on tippy toes.. What could this mean??

Last edited:
You poor soul, he does make you worry. Is it warm through the night where? The main things are keeping him warm and trying to keep him hydrated. Does he have a bowl of water, when they are ill they can prefer a bowl. Offer him a bowl with weak diluted juice or add a splash of fruit juice. Sometimes that will encourage them but make sure plain water is there as well.

If he doesn't drink and you have a syringe, give hime some room temp water by syringing it slowly into his mouth but aim sideways not straight down his throat.

Hope therd is better news tomorrow.

Yes, it's fairly warm in my bedroom.. He has a bowl, but he doesn't seem interested in it.. I put it by it mouth but he moves his head.. I'll try the syringe.. *sigh.. I hope it's nothing serious.. I don't know what I'll do.

In all honesty I would take him to the vets tonight.
I don't think they have out of hours vets in Trinidad, by the sounds of it. She's taking him in as soon as they can see him.

I hope Moo he will accept something to drink and eat, and that the vet can do something for him in the morning.

As Vita said, there aren't any after hours vets here.. I just have to hope that he can make it til tomorrow morning at 8.. Which is the time that they open.. He hasn't had anything to eat or drink as yet.. I'm so worried..

He did make a couple hops on my bedroom floor but they were very tentative and on his tippy toes.

I'm considering it may be a dislocated hip, based on research and other threads. I'm hoping that it isn't that and it was just a hit to the side that will ease soon.

Dont let him out of the cage and handle him as little as possible - you could make it worse.

Make sure he has access to hay and pellets and any veg/grass/herbs he usually has, his favourite foods to try and get him to eat. Also give him pellets made into a mash with water, either in a bowl, or try syringe feeding it to him. Or if you have it proper recovery food would be better. If he stops eating for too long he will go into stasis, which will add to whatever problem he has and is likely more dangerous too.

Make sure you take him to the vets asap. Make sure they give him pain killers and some to take home too. I'd also get some recovery food so you have some in the house. I hope he's okay.

I tried to feed him via syringe and he wasn't having it.. He kept pulling away and I was afraid he'd injure himself more.. I don't know what to do.. I'm at a complete loss.. And a nervous wreck.. He has apple, pellets, grass and he hasn't touched any of it as it.. I'm afraid he will go into stasis if he doesn't eat during the night.. It's been about 4 hours since he hasn't eaten anything..

How do I syringe feed him without causing any damage??

He did hop away from me while I was trying though.. Does this mean he isn't in that much pain that he will hop??

I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.. Vet's appt is at 8am.. It's 10.17 pm here now.. This is going to be the longest 9 hours of my life..

Make sure you try all his favourite foods.

You could wrap him in a towel so he cant kick out, gently but firmly, make sure his legs are secure, and hold him whilst you syringe feed him. It will be much easier if you can get someone to hold him whilst you feed him. Make sure you dont trance him (dont put him on his back) as he could choke. And support him properly to avoid further damage. Its important he doesnt kick out as he could hurt himself more.

I'm afraid I have less idea than you how he has hurt himself and hence if you could do more damage if he struggles etc, as I'm not there, but I'd try and get him to eat something if you feel it is safe. It's a shame they dont have out of hours vets there, do they have a phone service where you can ring and ask if its safe to pick him up?

Unfortunately rabbits have the instinct, as prey animals, to hide pain, so hopping doesnt mean he isnt in a lot of it. He's probably in a fair amount to stop eating, but I imagine the absence of a limp and willingness to move about means he isnt likely to have seriously injured his legs or spine at least, but only a vet can tell. He may need xrays done. Make sure you keep him in a carrier when you are travelling to the vets.

I know its much easier said than done but try not to stress out around him, he'll pick up on it and it may make him stressed and less likely to eat. I know how hard it is when they wont eat, but try and relax, you cant do much until the vets are open.

I'm going to bed now, its 2.43am here, but will check back tomorrow to see how he is. I hope the vet can get him eating again and find out where he hurt himself.

To syringe feed it is best to wrap him in a towel making a bunny burrito. Get a large towel and sit bun so their nose is at the middle of the edge of the long side. Take the long side at the buns bottom and fold it up. Take the side from the left and fold it over and tuck underneath Moo. Then wrap the other end round firmly,

When giving the food, put the syringe in the to the side of the incisors. He may mouth the syringe which is fine. Give him a small amount then take the dyringe out and let him swallow.

Thinking of you!

Just tried my hand at syringe feeding him again.. I don't know if most got in his mouth or on his fur.. But he was def licking his lips.. So, I'm thinking at least SOME got in.. It wasn't much.. But he kept struggling, so I gave up and put him back in his cage.. But at least he got something in.. Even if it's less that a ml.. It's more than he's had for a few hours..

There aren't any sort vet services at this hour here.. I just have to hope for the best.. It scares me when i go by him and his eyes aren't as wide and bright as they usually are.. :( .. He did attempt to hop out of the cage a couple times though as I was trying to put him back just now.. I just spent 2 hours crying, but I tried my best to be happy and upbeat around him.. Giving him kisses and rubs..

Going to try my best to fall asleep now.. Although I'm pretty certain I won't..

Will def post on how the vet's visit went or any other updates..

You poor dear! I'm so sorry I can't offer much to help that hasn't already been said but I will keep you and your bun in my thoughts and send healing vibes. (((((((((((((((((vibes for Moo))))))))))))))))))

K.. Just got back from the vet.. He says nothing appears to be broken or swollen or anything of the sort.. Slight relief there.. His temp is ok.. But he still isn't eating.. He gave me some pain meds to give him twice a day and hopefully this will help and he'd start back eating.. It's 10.31am here today.. Friday.. And he said if by Sunday he doesn't improve, he'd have to go for x-rays and blood work and what not.. He did hop around a bit today..

When I was giving him the meds he was grinding his teeth loud.. Don't think he enjoyed it very much.. If by this afternoon he doesn't eat I will force feed him as much as I possibly can.. I did get 1 ml of water with mashed up pellets inside him this morning.. Accompanied with grinding (which hurts my ears to hear) and struggling.

That's as much as I can say now.. Any updates and I'll post.

Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice/comfort.

Sorry to hear that he's not much changed.

Are you able to get Oxbow Critical Care there? (American brand of recovery food for rabbits - a powder in a big sachet that you can mix with water)

I wonder if he is concussed. But I have no experience of dealing with a concussed bunny.

Hopefully when the pain meds kick in he will feel better and start eating. Till then you are doing a great job and I hope you can get something intohim.

Nope no Critical care available here.. We aren't very much geared towards rabbits as pets as a society.. So, it's all limited.. Right now, he's out in the gallery where I usually keep him.. I locked the door to give him some peace and quiet.. He had a rough morning of being poked and prodded all over.. I'm hoping the pain meds kick in soon.. The dr said tomorrow [saturday] might be too early.. So, that's why Sunday is best to wait til..

I'm hoping it's not a concussion! And I hope I can feed him something!

You can make a basic critical care package by mushing up some pelleted feed (if thats what he has) by boiling and cooling some water, then mushing the pellets up witht he water and placing into a syringe. It may be necessary to cut the end of the syringe off to make the area easier to get into bunny.

What was the pain relief he was given, do you have the name? How much are you giving (in ml's) and do you know how much he weighs?

I'm surprised, in all honesty that the vet hasn't performed further diagnostics already, but as you say, your country isn't geared up to rabbit veterinary practice :(

I also, would NOT want to syringe ANY food until a blockage/obstruction/bloat had been ruled out, as you could make it an awful lot worse by forcing food in. Does his belly appear 'bloated' at all? Has he eaten ANYTHING in the last 12 hours and if so what and how much?

Have you seen any output, eg, wee/poops? If so, what do they look like?

This may seem like a lot of questions, but they are important ones.

Sooo.. Update! Moo seems to be coming along pretty well!! After the first dose of medicine yesterday, he had four little pieces of carrot, apple, some pellets!! Today, he's back to what I'd say is 95% of his regular self.. The only not so regular is that are are some weird shaped poops.. But mainly they're regular! And he is definitely eating more or less regularly now.. Grass, apple, pellets!.. Once he gobbled up the apple I knew he was feeling better, because he LOVES apples and the day that it happened, he wasn't interested in it at all!

He's also moving around and very active in his cage, trying to poke his head through anytime I open the door [as well as outside.. He tried to run away countless times when I was giving him his meds today..]

I'm thinking he did get a blow but it was more fright/shock that affected him than the actual impact!

The medicine is due to finish tomorrow [was a 3 day course].. So hopefully by Monday morning he'd be perfect.

Thank you so much to everyone who offered advice and kind words!

Back