• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weirdest Bunny Accommodation Creation Ever

Yep, I am watching this and have canvassed people on their thoughts about it.

This was the 2nd place accommodation in the RWA Rabbit Hutch Awards last year and to be honest that's just ridiculous in my opinion as there are far better things on the market.http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/campaign_updates/ROWinter11-CampaignUpdate.pdf

How do you insulate from heat or cold for starters?

Hate the way it looks and think it would be B awful to clean out.

Last edited:
How ingenious. :lol:
I bet that would be cosy with a lot of bedding.

Do you think? I can't see how it could be cosy at all, but maybe I'm missing something. I think it would have potential to cook rabbits in summer (obviously they could go outside but surely it should be providing shade?) and I can't see how you can insulate in winter very easily.

Me no likey.

Yep, I am watching this and have canvassed people on their thoughts about it.

This was the 2nd place accommodation in the RWA Rabbit Hutch Awards last year and to be honest that's just ridiculous in my opinion as there are far better things on the market.http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/campaign_updates/ROWinter11-CampaignUpdate.pdf

How do you insulate from heat or cold for starters?

Hate the way it looks and think it would be B awful to clean out.

Ooh er

I wonder why they are recommending such an impractical thing for outdoor use. You could see it might be useful for indoors, but outdoors? Hmm. :?

Do you think? I can't see how it could be cosy at all, but maybe I'm missing something. I think it would have potential to cook rabbits in summer (obviously they could go outside but surely it should be providing shade?) and I can't see how you can insulate in winter very easily.

Me no likey.

If put in shade I think it would be alright. But I always have my hutch in the shade in summer and move it into the sun in winter (or I did when I had a big enough garden to get sun). I would be easy to wipe clean where as even with lino down my wooden shed/hutch is a pain to clean. But I do see your point.

I can see why people try to do things differently and I guess that plastic housing is something that tries to address certain issues, but I have to say that there's a reason why wooden housing has been the same kind of style for so long (even if it nearly all used to be too small), and that for me is because it works very well.

I feel that wood is more natural for rabbits, and I know that we humanise them somewhat, in particular by laying lino, adding litter trays etc, but I think that is a good compromise.

I also believe that repairing wooden housing is going to be much easier, especially from chewing, digging etc, whereas this would not - can't see how you could patch it up if needed. Going by how my monsters dig in the corners of litter trays making the plastic surfaces rough, I can see potential for damage that couldn't be fixed.

Apart from how the rabbits would use the space, I do also think it is incredibly ugly. But then so are some wooden hutches. Difference is that you can pretty up wooden houses but can't see how you'd do it with this.

I wonder how many people in the UK have one and what they actually think.

how strange, i too would not be happy in cold weather, as t wouldn;t provde enough warmth for bunnies outdoors

It looks like a set of cat carriers put side by side. I wouldn't think it was secure. looks like something you would use temporary to me maybe because it looks so much like a travel carrier.

Me no likey.

Agreed. Me no likey either - for exactly the same reasons as you. It would be too hot in summer and cold in winter and an absolute blinkin' nightmare to clean out. Plus I don't feel it allows enough natural light in IMO.

The space offered seems to be good but MY GOD is it ugly :shock::shock::lol:

It just looks like a stack of pet carriers clumped together...well....I suppose that's exactly what it is ;)

I prefer my wooden wendyhouse and run, it's much prettier :D

It's no more than a couple of modified pet carriers! I think this would be Sprocket's worst nightmare. He hates the carrier so much that he digs in it and nowhere else. I'll stick with kennels and aviares tvm. :shock:

I agree that it's odd and totally unsafe, but I do like how it's plastic. I don't really like wood for rabbits. They may chew it, it gets stained with pee and isn't wipeable. Eventually it gets weathered looking and rots. I have indoor rabbits but if I were to have outdoor rabbits again I'd prefer a plastic playhouse (housed under an oak tree so there's plenty of shade and lots of windows with fox proof mesh wire over them, with shutters that could be closed at night).

Back