• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Misunderstanding

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Last night I began to wish Benjie didn't love me so much. Poor little fella is the victim of his rampant hormones.
Over the last 2 days he's started wetting my bed but only when I'm in it stroking him!:lol: 5 times in 2 days.:shock:
I think the only solution here will be the plum fairy when he's fully recovered from his pasteurella.

I'm a bit worried cos I'm sure I remember an elderly lady being referred for incontinence. We couldn't understand why she was only enuretic at home. She was indeed fine; the problem was that her cat wasn't.:oops:

I'm a bit worried cos I'm sure I remember an elderly lady being referred for incontinence. We couldn't understand why she was only enuretic at home. She was indeed fine; the problem was that her cat wasn't.:oops:
:lol:

Are you going to put down some towels for Benji? You could even put something plastic under them (eg bubble wrap, binliners) to stop the covers getting wet.

:lol::lol::lol:

Bless Benji :love: I'd love my bunnies to come into my bedroom (its only one of 2 rooms they're not allowed in) but this bed wetting malarky seems to be a common trait with bunnies. I wonder why?

This made me laugh a lot :lol: :thumb:

Badger was the same with the bed, even after being neutered. He was also the same with my laptop :roll: Good luck Judy!

Thanks for all your replies.
It's interesting because all the weeing is at the top of the bed near the pillow.
I'm reminded of Sky-O informing me that we make pheromones from our head, & Benjie's 1st. outbreak of hormones was to hump my head. :shock: :)shock: was mainly because his nails are like needles)

As I sleep with a duvet underneath as well as on top (too affluent aren't I?) The duvet underneath got most of the damage.

You have a good idea Vita - I didn't mention Benjie's toilet training is very similar. He won't hop into a tray -just like Thumper. :? He's currently trained well to a towel with plastic bag under. He's just getting the hang of weeing backwards, So it looks like it's going to be Thumper's arrangement. I'm a bit wary of putting a towel at the top of the bed in case he gets confused & it actually encourages him, but I thought of something similar.
(He's already got 1 in the bedroom but not got the hang of using it yet. I know he wants the loo when he's restless & starts digging the carpet, so it's still at the stage of taking him downstairs in the middle of the night. Honestly my young buns really are like toddlers!:lol:

Oh good grief! I'm going further down the road to the costa geriatrica every day. :lol:
As it's all in a small area I wondered about an incontinence pad at the top. I have no idea how I'll explain this to my home help!!! :oops:
The final thought has been to cage ME.:lol: You know, the cot sides used to ensure that elderly confused people give themselves a head injury by trying to climb over them & fall head first on the other side. :shock:

Why not exclude him from my bedroom?
Downstairs was also a scary place for Thumper at night. Foxes & cats come sniffing round the back door. Bunnies seem to go by sound & smell of danger rather than sight except for aerial predators. I'm dong all possible to reduce stress for Benjie to improve his immune system as there is a strong likelyhood he's got pasteurellosis. So there we are.
Feel free to have a good laugh.

Humphrey only wets on my bed if I leave my clothes on their :? If the bed is clear he will stay up there happily for hours without wetting. He doesn't wet when I sit on the bed either, just when left alone with something I have worn. If it was smell related you would think he would have issues with my pillow but he completely ignores it :?

I'd be fascinated to know the trigger which makes rabbits behave like this. Thank you for your experience Hugo's there. Thumper would sometimes wee in my dirty laundry basket - especially if I'd left it too long! :oops:

Benjie went the whole hog this afternoon. Fortunately I put some plastic under the bottom sheet & turned back the top duvet. When I returned from getting his willow twigs, the top of my bed was a fully developed "communal" territorial poop mound. He must have saved everything up for at least 24 hours!
The towel he'd already used in Thumper's pooping place has been totally ignored.
I know wildies choose an elevated spot at the boundary of their warren. Thumper did his in the garden. Benjie seems to have chosen my bed.:? Well better than the sofa downstairs.:lol:

He excelled himself this evening too, by leaving undiluted "essence of Benjie" on my old jumper sleeve (while I was wearing it) Pheewwwwwww. Wottapong!:shock:

I now have a new dust sheet with bin bag beneath at the top end of my bed. I attempted a nap earlier this evening.
Benjie let me have an hour & then repeatedly jumped up, as I repeatedly put him down again. Funny how NO is not in any of my bunnies' vocabulary & how determined they are. It looks as if I'll have to cage the bed, but can design it so it can be modules for his outdoor coolhouse & run.

Maybe he'll bring me a red rose one day? I can guarantee it'll be short stemmed. He's eating rose briars/stems like no tomorrow.
Ah the joys of an adolescent buck. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh Judy, it isgreat to be chuckling at tales of you and your bunny again. TBH I don't know anyone whose bunny has no in their vocabulary!:lol:

I haven't had this issue so have little in the way of ideas. The only thing i wondered about was a stairgate at your bedroom door. You could still see him and him you but he would need to find a new spot! What about a litter tray on a coffee table?

I wasn't quite sure what this thread was about from the title but...even after being neutered and having lived with me for almost five years now, I MUST have a puppy wee pad (or two or three) if I intend to put Mimzy on the bed at all. Now granted he is not free range and Fiver's habitat is close by, but there is simply no predicting where he is going to leave his calling cards. Hence he's earned the term; my Wee Little Ninja.
Don't get me wrong, he's been boxed trained from the off, but I am HIS property. It's essential he remind everyone of that.
Now that his arthritis is so bad, I can't get him to use even a low sided litterbox. I don't even try anymore. We just be sure to have puppy pads or easily wipeable flooring where he spends his time.

Fiver may have been neutered far too young to ever mark territorially. He is immaculate in his potty habits, NEVER wees the bed even though he catches other animals' scents on it and always returns immediately to his box when he feels the call of nature. My vet looked at his remaining boy bits and pronounced they were extremely underdeveloped so that's why she felt he'd been done too early.
He's the best behaved of my three. Probably just because he's never had the urge to be norty?

I don't know if any of that helps. My experience lately is that male anything is unfathomable! 0_o

Oh dear! :lol:

You can get disposable changing mats for babies, thin plastic backed but very absorbent sheet about the length and width of a pillow :wave: Pampers make them and sell them in all the supermarkets. Or you can get the larger toddler/child bed wetting sheets (same sort of thing) I used one in bed in case my waters went when pregnant! You could slip it under the covers or lie it on top. MIght be worth using a waterproof mattress protector sheet over the duvet. I do this for Sammy, he lies on a duvet too in his cot so I simply put a waterproof cot sheet over that duvet under his normal sheet for any eventuality to protect the duvet properly. Actually, I have a small mini waterproof sheet square spare here now, it's sort of half sized cot sheet so about the size of two pillows - I could pop it in the post to you if you think it might be useful? No problem at all. Let me know x

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions.
It's getting better, & I got some sleep last night.:D I think he exhausted himself by jumping up & being put straight down with a firm "NO" last night. I'm less exhausted cos I didn't have to keep changing my sheets although I'm a bit pongy from mopping up the drops on the dust sheet.!
I've moved his toilet to beside the bed today. See if we can compromise.

I feel sorry for him in one way because he's only showing normal rabbit behaviour.
Of course he's also telling the animal world that he's in the prime of health & fitness, so predators-"No point trying to get a meal on THIS patch, we're too fast for you" & rabbits "Tresspassers on this land will be seen off vigorously".

Everything else is going perfectly. He's growing fast, muscles filling out well, he's lots of stamina now, very affectionate & he's incredibly friendly with visitors. He's going to be a big boy.

Mimzmum, neither do I see neutering as the "magic answer" for these " interspecies behavioural conflicts". My concern is that he's so attached to me, he could go into stasis if we were separated eg. I was ill. As it is, he eats better after we've had playtime together. Benjie needs a companion bunny.

Bun wet on our bed soo much that we bought a new duvet and we use the old duvet to cover the bed during the day, we also hide the pillows under the two duvets so they dont get wetted on either.

Its strange how he likes to wet on the bed as he uses the same place outside of the bedroom and doesnt wee anywhere other than the bed and his place outside of the bedroom. He is also awaiting the plum fairy though so i am hoping after her visit things will improve...

Thank you Suncitygirl. I hope the neutering helps too.

I'm amazed today. Benjie's spraying was so frequent & so "driven" for the last 2 days I thought we had a major problem here.
No sprays at all on my bed today & just 1 poop which is fine.:D
He's discovered chinning in a big way, & he gets lots of praise for this!. So maybe we've got it sussed or maybe he's just dehydrated himself. :lol:
Or maybe he heard me talking about the N word/plum fairy. I'd like him to be over his infections for at least a month before we do that.

Aww, glad it has settled down at least for a couple of days to let you recharge your batteries!! He sounds as though he is turning into a lovely, friendly bunny and you are doing fantastically well with him. Here's going the sheets are dry again tonight xx

I've noticed that Fiver is less likely to eat unless I am in sight. Mimzy can't hear anymore so he's lackluster about meals too. The only bun who seems to always be stuffing her face whether I'm about or not is Pip ... but she's my diva, so ...

I want to get them all three bonded. I can see each needs company, but are far too attached to me each in their own way. They need to be bunnies, not little fuzzy long eared people.

Any animal companion wants praise and acceptance. I think Bengie has realized easier than most bunnies what makes you happy and that makes him want to do those things more. Good to hear that he's turned the water works off for the moment. :)

I know it's a long ways off...but have you any idea where from or what kind of wifey you and Bengie would be interested in? Just curious. :) I'm guessing it's possibly another one like Bengie and Thumper who will be 'guided' into your lives.

Thank you everyone. The spraying has been mainly replaced by mounting any bit of me he can get access to, almost non stop. On my side I've cleaned up puddles of wee but left some of the spray as much as I can. It's only in the bathroom, my bed & me. The reason being, that the more I clean it up, the more he'll be driven to respray.

I've decided that neutering is a matter of urgency for his sake. He's going to exhaust himself. The poor little fella is totally driven, & hardly resting or eating. He'll only use the toy rabbit if I'm dragging it round on a piece of string.
I feel so sorry for him.

Mimzmum, I don't mind what breed of rabbit he has as a companion, except that some breeds are unsuited eg. Conti giant or Rex without guard hairs would have endless hock sores on my floors. I may be a bit daft but see it that they'll have to live together for the rest of their lives, so BOTH need to get on well together.
I wish I knew how big Benjie would be. It's critical for designing the fox proof entrance to the cool house/bolt hole outside where I hope to bond them more slowly with less stress.
I feel I'm being forced foreward more quickly than I'd like to go, but at least I had a plan in mind before we started out.

Back