• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & Guinea Pigs in same shed?

am sure I saw a picture on here recently of someone who had a set up like that. It looked pretty good to me but I can't remember who it was :oops:

Wasnt sure how good it was cos isnt there something that can be passed from one to another? Or is that only direct contact?

Bordatella is air borne but I do see lots of people have buns and guineas in the same room/shed. I've wondered just how big of a risk it is because if I were to get guineas they would probably be housed in the same room as my buns.

Actually, thinking about it....I used to have guinea pigs in a cage and a rabbit free-ranging in my spare bedroom so I've done it myself before :lol::oops:

I keep my bunnies and piggies in the same shed (separate enclosures) and haven't had any problems. x

I know of at least 3 people that have lost their whole herd of guinea pigs to bordatella this way, personally I think it is too risky.

I have my pigs in the shed in hutches and my 2 rabbits free range. Been like this for about 6 years with no problems. :wave:

Oh, I should add, my guineas have been breathing the same air as my rabbits for 22 years and I don't think I have lost one to bordatella yet.

You'd need to make sure the buns and pigs can't touch eachother through the bars to avoid contact and also they could nip eachother. :)

Back