• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit noises

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
hey while searching for bunny trivia I came across this site http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/trivia.shtml I have visted it before but not that area.

The question on bunny noises made me confused

it says buns grunt when not happy but yuri grunts when she happy to like when you give her some carrot or a treat or a toilet role tube she grunts and teeth chatters when fussed as well...

I am sure rabbits grunt when they are both happy and not happy lol yuri also grunts and nudges me when she wants me to move out the way

Rabbits make a variety of noises for a variety of reasons, but if you haven't heard them/of them, then potentially you might not know or realise.

Well that link also says that rabbits "feel better having both feet on the ground" :lol: I dunno about American rabbits, but I thought they generally have 4!

Rabbits are funny with their noises, but very different - King growls when he's annoyed and tooth purrs when he's getting his nose and back tubs, but that's it.

Sharik on the other hand uses her full repertoir - I have been hissed at, honked at, growled at and grunted at, and for her, the hissing and growling means that she's annoyed, the honking can either mean sexual interest (the poor thing is not spayed for lack of proper vets) or scared whereas she'll grunt when she's happy with the choice of food.

The best way I find to really understand what they are saying and what kind of mood they're in is to look at posture and ears as well - it's qutie fun actually learning to understand what the little furry bums are actually trying to communicate :D

My bunny grunts if there is something she doesn't like or surprises her. Like a lot of the time if I move to quickly towards her, whether it be for a nose rub or to get something she is sat next to, she will grunt/honk and shake her head as if to say whoah what was that I don't like it when you surprise me! :lol: and then sometimes she will pounce and growl at my hand if she is feeling a bit moody and not liking what I am doing. never heard her teeth chatter or purr as of yet I think

Back