• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conscious Dentals

littleboots

Mama Doe
I know this subject has been raised before, but Im desperate for opinions / advice
I lost my lovely boy Treacle last Monday due to the fact he did not recover from the GA after going in for a routine dental and Im gutted :(
He was a regular dental bun and otherwise fit and healthy!
My fear now is... my other dental bun Sadie.... Im terrified of taking her for her next dental... She is a very good quiet bunny and I feel I need to explore the conscious dental for her.
Does anyone know any vets around Leeds that would consider this.. then I could at least have a chat to them and explore which avenue is best for her.
She will be needing a dental soon.... and Im terrified now :(

I am so sorry to hear about treacle and can understand your worries.

I know it wont help much but thought you would like to know that we have elderly and ill bunnies put under for dentals nearly on a weekly basis and have never lost a single one. Maybe Treacle had an underlying problem which didn't show any symptoms :(

Sorry i can't help you regarding a vet as in totally the wrong area

I too am very sorry to hear about Treacle. The very same happened to Lola, however she didn't pass going in for a routine dental. She had dentals in double figures andwas fine through out, heck she had one in October and was fine. Then she had to have an op for bloat and she just stopped breathing under GA. It turned out she had an underlying heart and lung condition and the other times under GA, she'd just been exceptionally lucky. She exceeded her life expectancy by more than double. :(

So sorry. I can completely understand your concerns, although in your situation I don't know what I'd do x

Hello there

Sorry, I am in the wrong area, being down south (Watford). However, I am an advocate of conscious dentals. My mini-lop, George, (10½) had them for years to treat molar spurs (now doesn't need them due to front teeth removal, which stopped the spurs). If you have a good natured buns I would definitely pursue this avenue - it saved my buns lots of GA's, which I don't believe he would have survived. Good luck with your search for a vet. xxx

Sorry I can't help June as I'm too far away for you to travel. I can understand your concern.

I have a lot of dentals bunnies here and they all have conscious dentals, I know most of them probably wouldn't make it through a GA so we have no option, we are very lucky that we have 3 fantastic vets locally who all do conscious dentals and so it's not a problem to us, I think they are brilliant and would advise anyone to go down this route,

I really hope you can find someone close to you that does them:thumb:

I am positive on concious dentals, Jimby had really bad spurs when we first got him, he was having dentals every 6 weeks weeks, we got his diet right- lots of hay! and *touch wood* he has not had to have a dental for a good year now.
But if he did have to have a minor job done I would definitly want it to be done concious, I dont know if Cookie would tolerate it though. :?

Back