• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Bedding Problems!

MiniSoph

New Kit
Hi all,

I am having problems with my 6month old female mini lops bedding arrangements. Buttercup was originally an outdoor rabbit living with a female companion who sadly died after being with us for just a week. Anyway, we decided to bring her inside and have her as a houserabbit, however, I'm having some issues with her bedding. We have tried her with hay as bedding as suggested to us by an experienced bunny owner who has had several houserabbits herself, however we found that she just ate the hay and by the end of the week was walking around on the plastic tray of her cage...not comfortable I would imagine! So, we are now using wood shavings. The only problem with this is that she kicks it all out of the cage and still has hardly any bedding left by the end of the week (not to mention the endless vaccuuming for me!)

If anyone has any alternatives to sugest that she wouldnt eat/forcefully remove from the cage, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks xx

What is she being kept in?

Is she litter trained?

Personally I would put her on lino base with a few carpet tiles for her to lay on, then get a large litter tray (32L underbed storage box or something similar) and fill it with Megazorb and a layer of hay, and top up the hay daily as well as topping up the hay rack twice daily. She should litter train herself (most buns tend to).

If she isn't litter trained I would use newspaper and hay, she is eating her bedding hay most probably as she is hungry so this needs to be topped up daily to keep up with her as she eats it :thumb:

ETA: I wouldn't use wood shavings they can cause respiratory issues and I've seen cases of wood shavings getting stuck in private areas too.....:shock:

is she in a dog cage if something similar maybe try this

dscf0845-68370937.jpg

As above, I would try Megazorb which is a paper based bedding you can get in big sacks. You can get carefresh too, which are in much smaller packs and therefore more expensive, but gives you an idea of the kind of bedding it is which you can try before you commit to the huge bag!

I would make sure she has a good supply of hay at all times. They LOVE fresh hay and should eat about their own body size in hay each day. Mine get litter trays filled with hay when they're cleaned out which is topped up with fresh hay morning and evening, that way they never eat to the end of the hay. having the layer of hay on top of the bedding also stops it being kicked out and ending up everywhere :D

Back