• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit breeders

Hi... This is just out of general interest, not because I am specifically looking to get a rabbit from a breeder! I was just wondering if there are any reputable rabbit breeders out there? People who are breeding for healthy rabbits & are concerned for their rabbits to go to good homes where people know how to look after them? I have had big problems with my rabbit's teeth (who I presume to be a mix containing some sort of seal point mini lop) & he was from a pet shop, I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who is breeding rabbits responsibly!

If someone asked me for advice for where to buy a rabbit I would strongly recommend they DON'T go to a pet shop, and for sure check out this forum and rabbit rehome, but I was just wondering about this side of the rabbit world?

Thanks

hello and welcome to the forum

you will find a lot of people on here are strongly against breeding and highly for getting rabbits from rescues though theres a few ru people who arent against breeding if its done right. hopefully they will post here for you

Yeh I can totally see why people are pro getting rabbits from rescues! But if we lived in a world where such huge numbers of rabbits no longer needed rescuing, would there be reputable people to get rabbits from? Especially as I am of course very anti pet shop rabbits! & yes I am in the UK as well.

Yes there are many responsible breeders, and a few are on here. You want to speak with someone who knows 5 generations of their rabbits, keeps their rabbits in decent sized hutches, and really knows about rabbit care.

I know of some that I think are responsible. You will find tho that people have different ideas on what a responsible breeder is (some even think there is no such thing lol ), I think before you buy you should be happy with the way they are kept, the way they are bred and that the breeder knows what they are talkign about (but i suppose that may be hard for a new owner to know)
if your looking for a specific person i could pm you the details of someone, depends where you are in the uk.

I have been to a few shows and I know a few people who breed. I guess the best way to judgevis to visit their stud and look at how they keep their rabbits and ask questions. If they have nothing to hide then they should have no problems answering. I got my frenchie from a lovely lady and asked her all about dental issues, having previously had a rescue with appalling spurs and denials every few weeks. She had no problem in answering my questions, in fact I think they find it reassuring that you want to ask these questions :) But I also have seen the opposite side at shows, where rabbits are really a thing to win a rosette with. And I find that attitude horrible. So good and bad in the world I guess?

Last edited:
Back