• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does it mean??!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Does anyone know of any good sources of info on rabbit behaviour within a bonded pair that I might read?

I have a very food-orientated, human-shy male bun (Tango) bonded with an attention seeking girl (Finx). He grooms her regularly on her request, but also chases her a lot. He can be very posessive of food, so they share a large dog bowl for their pellets, have their hay spread around the hutch and in their litter trays and get treats equally and at the same time.

Tonight I posted a thread in rabbit chat about him protecting their new bedroom box, inside the hutch they happily share, and not letting her in. But he is still grooming her, despite not sharing the bedroom.

I'd love to know what all these mixed messages mean!

Are they quite young still or not long neutered? It could be there are still hormones present but they will hopefully eventually dissipate. Buns tend to mellow and settle down as they age.

Finx will be 2 in July, she was spayed as soon as she was old enough, and Tango was estimated to be about the same age by his rescue but he was a stray so not sure! They had him neutered there, which was about 6 months ago now.

I'm just a bit worried about the strength of their bond, with all this chasing and defensive behaviour! Tango seems happy but I sometimes worry that Finx isn't. Then again, she was my first bun and used to live inside with us, so I'm probably a bit soft when it comes to her :lol:

Back