• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big is an egg cup?

Vita

Mama Doe
...And how long is a piece of string?

I have two different kinds of egg cups, Ikea ones and Cornish Blue ones. Neither is noticeably big, but the Ikea ones are much shallower, and I've just found, by pouring water, that they hold only half as much as the Cornish.

Is there a way of telling what quantity is meant by the egg cup ful of pellets?

(I am considering dropping the bagged small pellets as they are a faff anyway, and just going over to the big Bunny Nature ones, which she gets one or two of per day as a treat, so there's more variety than just Fenugreek Crunchies.)

My personal opinion is I don't go by the egg cup rule. I think it's too little, but Smoo weighs 3kg at her optimum weight. I give a small bowl a day (when she's well, she has an abscess now so her diet is different to compensate). I think it's whatever keeps your bunny at a good weight and doesn't interfere with them eating hay.

I worked out that it was around two tablespoons which is also what my vet recommends.

My personal opinion is I don't go by the egg cup rule. I think it's too little, but Smoo weighs 3kg at her optimum weight. I give a small bowl a day (when she's well, she has an abscess now so her diet is different to compensate). I think it's whatever keeps your bunny at a good weight and doesn't interfere with them eating hay.

I am thinking about cutting down because she left a small quantity of uneaten caecals - thought that was after a night when I'd given her a few more pellets than usual through sheer laziness.

I am not sure what Ada weighs just now, but it's probably around or just over 2kg.

:thumb:

Is that per rabbit?

Yes. I have two very handy scoops which are four tablespoons each and I keep one in each room, fill them up in the morning and then that's a day's rations for a pair. :)

I also thought this when i heard they should be given an eggcup full! How much is that??

I actualy weigh mine out I do it with all my pets' food so it's consistent and I know what i'm giving them. They get 20g of pellets in the morning and the same at night between 2 bunnies. so that's 20g each a day. Seems to work I think

Ruthie xxx

I give mine 5g of SS pellets each twice daily, so each bunny gets 10g of pellets. This is enough to keep their weight on through winter living outdoors. Some bunnies need more, some need less. some bunnies can live quite happily with no pellets or just 1-2 pellets per day.

I think the eggcup rule is just to show that you shouldn't fill up your rabbit's bowls, it should be a small part of their diet.

Back