• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucky only eats when I'm present..Advice plz

whitehood

Warren Veteran
He only eats when I'm present..

His hay is always put in his tray
He either spends time eating in the tray, sofa, or the dining room chairs.
He's mostly on the chairs.
When I wake up and come downstairs every morning he jumps off the chair then starts eating.
Why is this? Is it serious? His teeth were long but not spurry(checked by vet a week ago)

Last edited:
Are you sure? Does the hay not move or decrease in amount at all when you're out of the room?

I wonder if he's bonded to you as his partner and feels comfortable to eat when you're around?

It decreases slightly but not loads like it used to be. I topped the hay, he spent 5 mins eatings but he's now lying down on the tiles.

Jenova I hope not.. It'd be cute but I hope it's not.
Would having a bond with me make it unlikely for him to bond with another rabbit ?
He's due a wifey soon :(

It decreases slightly but not loads like it used to be. I topped the hay, he spent 5 mins eatings but he's now lying down on the tiles.

Jenova I hope not.. It'd be cute but I hope it's not.
Would having a bond with me make it unlikely for him to bond with another rabbit ?
He's due a wifey soon :(

no mabel bonded wth me when lost lox, but look at her now wth sox, she still same wth me, but she is happy with her manbun :wave:

no mabel bonded wth me when lost lox, but look at her now wth sox, she still same wth me, but she is happy with her manbun :wave:

Yeah a bunny friend is always better. ;)
You can buy little bags of forage from lots of places, like wilkinsons have dandelion and green oat hay and my pet shop sells a little bag with willow, mint and all sorts in. Can you get one of these and mix a little handful in with his hay to make it more exciting?

Ok thanks

I am not sure but could having loads of space make him not eat his hay?
His hay tray is 15 ft away so maybe he can't be bothered to get it.

Or maybe he's feeling lonely ?

I don't want him to ignore hay, that's all he can eat inside.

He gets let out in the garden and he loves the tiny grasses. Why won't he have hay?

Jenova thanks I'm going to order the timothy mix grass seeds from the hay experts (to plant on the present grass) and I'll buy the forage stuff too to mix in his hay.

I have been surprised by how little hay my buns ate during the day when they had the run of most of the house - but they did eat - mostly at night, though they always tucked into new hay I put down.

How much is 100 g and how long does it last ?
How much do you give ?

I'll buy that as well as the seeds then :)

It's a small bag, about the size of my forearm, but it last a good few weeks because I only mixed a little into the hay. From my pet shop I think it only cost £2.15, but they hardly ever get it in. :roll:

Sounds similar to Biscuit.

We had a huge problem with him as a single rabbit, when he was very young. He bonded to me very strongly, and if i left the house, he wouldnt eat, use the toilet (wee or poops), move, until i got home.

I'd get home and he'd become very animated, drop a pile of poops like you've never seen before, do a HUGE wee and would sit nomming for ages while i was in the house. I didnt have to be in the room, but he had to know i was there with him.

We went to the vet about it, and they said it's common in a lot of animals and is the same as humans...seperation anxiety. The fear of never seeing that person again.

When we introduced Ginger, post-bond we've NEVER seen this behaviour again. Our bond is just as strong, he's still my best friend (bar my wife, obviously) but he has somebun he can talk to in a way only another rabbit knows how to reply.

Back