• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ear temperature

Vita

Mama Doe
I worry about this a little too much since Beatrix died. I remember how cold her ears were and didn't realise the significance until the vet told me she was hypothermic.

Ada's ears are usually very warm, but today they are colder than the rest of her - but then the weather today is colder than it has been for a while. She seems fine otherwise.

I suppose I'm just looking for general information about ear temperature and what you can and can't tell from it.

You've voiced a concern of mine. Hannibals ears seem quite cold atm, but I don't know if that's just because the house is a bit chilly or if its to do with him being so unwell. I'd be interested in what people have to say too.

It's a tricky one to gauge as an owner, because there is a lot of context involved. Rabbits do use their ears to regulate their body temperature to some degree, so if it's very cold outside, I'd expect their ears to be cold, because they would be restricting the blood flow to their ears so that the blood circulating round their body stays warmer. If all the blood was getting into those thin ears when it's very cold out, the rabbit would lose a lot of temperature through their ears. So I would only 'read' ear temperature as a symptom among many and would also take the temperature into account. Hot ears in very cold weather is probably actually more likely to be an indication that the bun is failing to regulate its temperature correctly and therefore may subsequently become hypothermic!

It's a tricky one to gauge as an owner, because there is a lot of context involved. Rabbits do use their ears to regulate their body temperature to some degree, so if it's very cold outside, I'd expect their ears to be cold, because they would be restricting the blood flow to their ears so that the blood circulating round their body stays warmer. If all the blood was getting into those thin ears when it's very cold out, the rabbit would lose a lot of temperature through their ears. So I would only 'read' ear temperature as a symptom among many and would also take the temperature into account. Hot ears in very cold weather is probably actually more likely to be an indication that the bun is failing to regulate its temperature correctly and therefore may subsequently become hypothermic!

That's really interesting. I often wonder about their ears especially in the cold weather. My foster bun's ears feel very cold but when I press my hand to her body she always feels warm, even when its freezing, so I thought (hoped?) that was as it should be!

Thank you very much!

I was an obsessive 'ear feeler' when I had my chronic stasis bunnies! :lol: It was a sure sign with them once they were indoor bunnies. But, I remember when they were outdoors, their ears were often fairly cold without symptoms. So, I'd agree that it's only one of several symptoms to look out for, rather than something meaningful in its own right.

bandit was dying and the vet said if the base of the ear where it joins the head is cold..bunny is very cold as in dying cold..he was in shcok we missed him being ill and he was pts minutes before he died:cry::cry: Also the vet told us it is very hard for vets to accurately gauge dehydration..they still use the "tenting" of the skin method used in dogs and cats. The best way is to pull down the lower eyelid..it should spring back right away. If it goes very slowly or only half way...fluids needed asap. If the lid just hangs there....bunny is too far gone.
Bandits life being lost has helped us with the bunnies whove followed over the last few years.

Bluebell recently had been behaving terribly aggressive etc...more than usual and something just didnt "sit right" about her. She has a history of fevers with no know causes but they stopped once her lump on her shoulder/neck was emoved. Well a new lump has been spotted and vet said it wasnt bothering her. But just recently i had to feel her ears..they were sooo hot...fry an egg hot if you know what i mean. she also went floppy.

the vet hurt her bottom trying to take her temp..eventually did it and her fever was even higher than the last time she was hospitalised for it!! We told the vet how we gauge a fever and he did it and said yes her very warm ear bases fitted in with her fever. The rest of her ear was hot and damp with sweat!!

its a pity those babys' ear scan thermometers arent accurate enough for buns....

Back