• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teeth- So ****** Off-U/D Jessica Admitted

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Jessica is a 7 year old Lop. I have had her since she was about a year old. She has always had a good hay based diet, she consumes endless amounts of hay and dried grass all day every day. But this morning I noticed her chewing a bit slower than normal. She is also very 'licky' which is unusual for her. On checking her teeth what do I find............. a bloody great spur on a lower right molar :evil: No soft tissue damage, but that is on the cards if we dont sort it.

I am so frustrated by this. Jessica has had some Metacam and she will be having her first Dental on Thursday if Laura agrees with my findings.

Damn Teeth................ I include what few are left of my own in that remark :evil:

Last edited:
What a shame, just as well you know your rabbits so well though, she could be in alotof pain before it was noticed otherwise.

We have had this happen to quite a few elderly bunnies that have been with us most of their lives and had a great diet. Given her age could there arthritis developing in her jaw which would change the way she is wearing down her teeth?

We have had this happen to quite a few elderly bunnies that have been with us most of their lives and had a great diet. Given her age could there arthritis developing in her jaw which would change the way she is wearing down her teeth?

Certainly demineralisation of the jaw meaning that the open roots start to go astray. That would effect the occlusion xx

Vibes for the lovely Jessica. I wish I could check bees molars myself rather than have to take him to see mr vet :)

She is lucky to have such a knowledgeable mummy :) xx

Thanks everyone

Jessica is home and is already eating and pooing. Now we just have to work hard at trying to prevent more Dentals being needed............

Thanks everyone

Jessica is home and is already eating and pooing. Now we just have to work hard at trying to prevent more Dentals being needed............

Glad it doesnt seem to have affected her badly. Not wanting to sound defeatist but given the amount of hay your gus eat, how can you prevent more details.

Oh bless little Jessica. So pleased that she is home safe and sound and noshing. Sending good trim teethy vibes xx

Thanks everyone

my bun is only 7months and has had a dental i have cut down her pellets and veg so she eats more hay what else is there i can do you sound as though you may have other ideas ;) cheers

my bun is only 7months and has had a dental i have cut down her pellets and veg so she eats more hay what else is there i can do you sound as though you may have other ideas ;) cheers

Unfortunately some cases of Dental problems are congenital (inherited) and this could be a possibility given that your Rabbit is just 7 months old. Is she a Lop, a Nethie or a Lionhead ?

Making sure that your Rabbit has as much hay in her diet as possible will be essential. I would weigh her weekly too. You may be able to get her onto a pellet free diet, feeding just a wide variety of hays and forages and a few veg. A diet which is as close to that of a wild Rabbit is the optimum. We dont see Wildies hopping off to buy a bag of Science Selective pellets ;)

Jessica is 7 years old and until now she has never needed any Dental treatment. But as a Rabbit ages there can be some demineralisation of the jaw and this will effect the tooth roots and the occlusion of the crowns. So spurs/elongated crowns can then develop. Jessica certainly recovered brilliantly from the GA and was back to normal eating and pooing within about 4 hours of the GA xx

im so glad shes back home and eating and pooping fine:wave:

odd isnt it..poor bertie being 7 has been suspected many times of dental issues but has shocked the vets by being ok. His teeth have always been long tho. And other buns id not expect to have teeth issues do!:shock:

lily had some spurs teeny ones bured last year not long after adopting her. Since then the vets have said shes fine...touch wood....just long teeth again.

merlins a lionhead cross..dental bun.....

bridge girlie bif was a dental bun..took a few years before one vet diagnosed her lower jaw jutting back too far.

merlin has terrible pains in his tummy when hes approaching the need to be hospitalised. This in turn affects his appetite and that in turn produces tooth spurs...not big but enough to bother him.

Like you say Jane its either congential or with age comes arthritis and bone density issues inc the jawbone.

i hope she manages to stave off any more for a long time to come.:thumb:

Back