• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it wrong to 'force' a bonding?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
If its not love at first sight and if in the wild the said buns would fight until death/one runs off, is it fair to force them to be 'bonded'? Would you live with someone you 'tolerated' because you 'had to'?

Please remove any anthropomorphic views from the equation please!

It depends what you mea by force, really. Tolerating, is different from fighting at the start and then reconciling any differences and sorting out the heirarchy and then being very happily loved up.

It also depends, I think, on what is causing the issues, and if it is something that can be worked with or around to help the bunnies be happy together.

For me the reality is somewhere in the middle...the language is very emotive...love at first site (rarely happens) and 'forcing' a bond are two polar opposites, there is an enormous amount of grey inbetween. Most bonds aren't love at first site, so if we didn't persist beyond that and keep trying with bonds for longer than an initial time and beyond some normal early spats, there would be far more single bunnies out there! Most bonds include a bit of nipping, chasing, humping, all of which are normal and are no long-term indication of whether the bunnies will love each other. It's nothing to do with 'forcing' a bond, and everything to do with understanding the process through which naturally territorial and hierarchical animals have to progress in order to develop their friendship/love.

However, if you are talking about truly 'forcing' a bond, then in most circumstances then no, I don't think it should be forced...unless it is in the best interests of the buns. Sometimes, if it's a case of an owner already has these two buns, and their options are that you 'force' them to bond or they remain single buns forever, then as long as they end up being pals if not madly in love, it can be in the buns best interests to keep on going beyond what you might do if you were a rescue doing 'dating' to find the right bunny match.

For me it's not so much 'forcing' which, like I said earlier, is a bit of an emotive word, it's more about knowing how far to persist, given the individual context and circumstances.

I wouldn't say its fair. I've seen it happen and I don't agree with it. A long bonding process is sometimes the only way..but it can and does eventually lead to a loving bond with no issues. Patience is key.

If you had a choice would you live with someone who you didn't particularly like? I think not. So why do it to buns? Hence the reason I still have 2 semi-bonded/un-bonded singles for almost a year.
Personally speaking I don't feel it is fair on them if it is obvious they are getting no enjoyment out of each others company.

Back