• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

angry bun

okikokikate

Mama Doe
Buttons is very grumpy lately.x
If I try to dustpan and brush her crate then she growls and pounces.
I tried to get her out of her crate and again with the growling and meanness.
Ive had her for a week and two days. Shes around 19wks old

She's developing hormones, and probably the move has unsettled her so she is feeling insecure and needing to protect her territory (plus many of them seem to be like this with a dustpan and brush, I find).

Hopefully once she is spayed she will settle :)

All of our rabbits are the same with the dustpan and brush :lol: It's like it's programmed into them to attack it lol :) I think Leo is the only one who isn't really bothered :lol:

Maybe if you let her smell it a bit first? I did this with Poppy when she was outside and wouldn't leave it alone lol.. she did after she realised it wasn't going to hurt her :lol:

How old is she? is she spayed? Can she get in and out of get crate without help?

Shes not old enough to be spayed yet.
She can get out by herself, but she doesnt. thought I'd show her that it is safe in my front room isnt so scary afterall. but she was v moody.

Shes had a big change coming to a new home and having a new person in he life. It sounds like shes feeling abit insecure and probably territorial too as SkyO mentioned.
I would advise not trying to stroke or touch her atall. Only put your hands near her to offer her an occasional treat. Sit quietly with her, read a book or go on your laptop and wait for her to come and check you out. It might take a while but buns are incredibly nosy and it will get the better of her eventually! Spend a good couple of weeks doing this without trying to touch her atall (unless necessary of course.) She will gradually learn that you are not a threat, at which point you can start stroking her gently for short periods. Always stop stroking her before she moves away, its about building her trust and not forcing her into anything :)

As far as the dustpan and brush is concerned, 3 of mine also grunt and bat at it :roll: 1 of mine also binkies whenever im sweeping up! :shock::lol:

I just love her so much. I want her to love me too.
Hope she finds some courage soon.
I will try to leave her alone then

I know how your feeling, i rescued max in august and he hated been touched at all he'd just totally panic, i blame whoever had him before me :evil: but i have now had him 5 months and he has gradually let me stroke him and will come to me for treats and sniff (no growling now) i rarely pick him up (only to go to vets) but he is learning to trust now i even managed to stroke his face the last 3 days which i a major break through :D
It might just be a case of patience and she'l come round :) its so hard though when you just get them and really want to fuss them :)

Back