• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A dreadful day for Jessica.- she's gone.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
When I fed the rabbits this morning I thought everyone seemed a bit off but they were all bright and came out for breakfast, but when I went to the trio I immediately knew something was wrong as Jessica didn't come out for breakfast and was hiding in one of the igloos instead. I lifted her up and she was very quiet, she is am 8 year old angora so it's hard to examine her. I realised there was blood and assumed she had torn a nail, but on closer inspection she had an open wound on the top of her back right legs, towards her toes. I could see what I thought was bone, and it was as well as ligaments. I rushed her to the vet knowing it was really bed, I left her there and then has to try and concentrate at work.
The vet called and they have managed to get enough skin to stitch it together, we were worried we would have to amputate or PTS. She is through the op and wakening, I have to pick her up this evening with a load of meds to nurse her. Obviously the big risk is infection, the would isn't fully closed as there was not enough skin.

I examined the run and found a hole in the mesh, hiding behind the litter tray and it has grey hair on it, so it looks like she caught her leg in it and tore it trying to escape. I feel awful I didn't notice it and it's a lesson learned to check even the indoor runs for holes.

Last edited:
Poor Jessica and what a terrible shock for you. I thought for a minute you were going to say fox or dog so am relieved there were no canine intruders but poor bunnykins. Don't blame yourself, we can't monitor everything all of the time. I hope she is home and recovering very soon x

What a shame, I hope that sh has a comfortable night. I am sure you will be relieved to have her home. Hope you have recovered from the shock.

Oh thats awful for her and what a horrible thing for you to have to see too:cry:

I really hope she recovers fully as soon as possible.

poor Jessica, i hope she soon recovers.

i wouldn't blame yourself, these things unfortunatley happen to the best people.
it was an unforseen accident and if the tear was behind something they are easily overlooked.

i bet there aren't many people who inspect every part of their bunnies housing every day with a fine tooth comb!
at least she is on the mend. x

Vibes being sent for Jessica from this end too. Please don't beat yourself up, this was a freak accident. Bless you both. Sending love to all of you xxx

Jessica's not doing too well, she's not really eating much and no poohs.
I have more metochloprimide to inject but I'm also worried about the fact she isn't trying to use her legs.
I'll keep you updated.

Just seen this - so sorry to hear.

I hope she starts to feel better soon. Is she on a lot of pain killers? (Is metochloprimide a painkiller? Don't know much about them)

sending loads vibes for Jessica...thank goodness you saw it was a real wound and not just her nail and was able to get her ot the vets quickly....loads of vibes for her xxx

Jessica was put to sleep this afternoon, x-rays showed extensive damage and arthritic changes which meant recovery was unlikely. She was PTS at home and it was calm and peaceful.
Thank you for your support.:cry:

I an so sorry, what a shame she didn't make it, you fought hard and did everything possible for her.

Back