• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Intermittent incontinence in rabbits. UPDATE post12

Pie

Warren Veteran
Hi all,
Sorry I haven't been around much recently.

I have a question (as title). Oberon has had a couple of minor incontinence problems. One was late last year when it was put down to a minor urine infection and given baytril and I gave him Panacur to be on the safe side. He has started doing it again but intermittently. This 'urine' is totally clear, no smell etc. He is acting totally fine in himself, eating, drinking pooing all fine. Just seems to be he leaves patches of wet behind him sometimes. It never gets to the point of saturating his fur and doesnt irritate his slightly sore hocks.
He is due his Myxi soon so will ask again about it but there is no pattern when it happens. OH mentioned if rabbits pee when really excited, like dogs. I said no I don't think so(?) It sounds silly but that is what it seems like as he is a very healthy, not yet 2 yrs (1yr 8 months) Rex and shows no signs of discomfort or change in personality.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as I want to prepare for a possibly incontinent rabbit, especially him being a Rex.
Thanks in advance all :wave:

Last edited:
:wave:Just wondering if it might be worth getting his kidneys checked, just to be on the safe side. I had intermittent incontinence with Basil and he did have a problem with one of his kidneys. Don't want to worry you though:wave: Hope you find the answer Oberon's problem soon.

There are a variety of possibilities, but a full examination would be the best place to start. It could be a bladder/UT issue, a renal issue, a neurological issue for example. Hopefully a thorough Vet check will give more information xx

I don't have anything to add, but just want to say hello again. :wave:

Hope you get some answers for Oberon. xx

I second Jane in checking his bladder....Blue was very similar a couple of years ago. Turned out he had calcium crystals in his bladder and had to have an op to remove them. His wee was quite milky though. either way it would be worth getting it checked out. Only takes an xray to see if theres a blockage or anything.
Really hope it's nothing serious :wave:

Thanks all. He is fine today and this has only happened 3 times in the past 6 months. So when I say intermittent I mean really intermittent!
He had his nails cut last night and I re-checked all his 'bits' and they are clean and dry. It is literally like he gets over excited and leaves drips everywhere for the next 10 minutes.
But am going to the vet today with Bruce so will go with the whole zoo and ask. It's a very strange situation as there appears to be no real reason for it!?
Will keep this thread updated with any answers or ideas I get.

Hello :wave: hope your vet can shed some light on Oberons problems! Also how is little Pie doing now have you managed to get her little stasis episodes under control with diet etc?

Does he have any pain or go off his food when he has these incontinence spells?
I have just had a similar thing with one of my buns but it was more frequent & accompanied with severe pain & not eating. Ruled out stones/sludge/infection/spinal damage. Looks like it might have been EC but she developed renal failure & we couldnt save her. We are still waiting on some blood tests back.

Pie is going ok. I put a recent picture of her on the RU fb page recently. Only 1 bad stasis episode since christmas! :D She is still on the medication and is on a super scrict diet but apart form that and daily tummy rubs and weight checks she is doing as well as Pie can. Vet and I are so pleased, she may never be totally "healthy" but she certainly is the best she's been for at least 2 yrs! :love: :thumb:

Does he have any pain or go off his food when he has these incontinence spells?
I have just had a similar thing with one of my buns but it was more frequent & accompanied with severe pain & not eating. Ruled out stones/sludge/infection/spinal damage. Looks like it might have been EC but she developed renal failure & we couldnt save her. We are still waiting on some blood tests back.

No, not pain related. He is healthy. good weight. Diet is spot on, all vaccinations up to date etc. This is why it's such a mystery. Even when it does happen he shows no other side effects. Very strange indeed.

also wanted to say hi!:wave::D

Wonderful to hear Pie has been doing ok...and hope Oberon is going to be ok...sending lotsa get well vibes xxx

We've had exactly the same problem on and off with Buster for the past 3 months. Some days i get up and there are urine spots all over the kitchen but they are usually a very burnt orange in colour. We went to the vets about it 3 times and he was prescribed Baytril each time. He was eventually taken off of Baytril because it gives him the runs and it was just becomming rediculous. He's been fine for the past three weeks fingers crossed but i do have a feeling that its going to be something he always suffers from. It started after he had an op for a jaw abcess, the meds he was on caused an imbalance of bacteria in his bladder and gut and we've been stuck with this problem ever since.

Update

Ok so took Obie to the vets on friday evening. Saw my usual vet that sees Pie, he's wonderful and very knowledgeable.

We have him on baytril and got another lot of metacam just incase. Going to attempt to take a urine sample today (fingers crossed!). It is a suspected UTI but because it seems to be ongoing but intermittent they may take a blood sample and scans to check for kidney problems.

Typical he hasn't had an accident since friday :roll: and is still ok in himself. He has gone down in weight though, from 1.62 to 1.35 (please note he is a tiny mini rex and is no bigger than Pie and she is small for a mini lop) so we are keeping an eye on his weight, he's fine for now just gonna keep watch. His teeth were checked and were in fantastic condition, no neurological issues, nervous system was all fine. Ears, eyes etc all fine.

Will update this again when/if he has to go back in for more tests.
These are the sort of patches he leaves when hopping about. This was washed 2 weeks ago and you can see the amount of stain on it already. That's when he has a bad spell.
251372f7.jpg

And one of the littl man himself, being very nosey!
3ee9d436.jpg

Back