• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur or lapizole? Wormer advice please!

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I want to worm N&T. They're 2.5 and 2.4kg.

The vet advised panacur or lapizole, and from what I remember the pros and cons are as follows:

panacur (£7.14 x 2), 9 day course.

lapizole (£22.26, but should last for 2 whole doses for both rabbits i.e. a year - if the date is okay of course), 28 day course.

She said the lapizole tastes like fenugreek so bunnies tend to be good with it, but N&T are very 'hands-off' bunnies. I don't handle them at all except for taking them to vets, I let them approach me. How do you actually do the wormer, do you need to hold their head and slide it in the side and push it in? Is there any alternative methods such as squeezing it onto a plate and letting them lick their doses up? Or feeding other ways, such as on a tiny bit of bread? Banana would be suitable I'm sure but I'd waste so much, whereas a tiny pinch of bread won't waste much and they'd gobble it up...

Does panacur taste like fenugreek, or what does it taste like? Do buns usually like the taste enough to eat it up themselves off bread etc?

Are there any other good bunny wormers that might be easier to give?

Out of 7 buns only 1 would lap his panacur :roll: for everyone else it was a case of get them between my knees, hold their head and push the nozzle into the side of the mouth.

Not what you wanted to hear - but you do get quick at it and if you give them something nommy afterwards then they do tend to forgive you;)

I have only used panacur, but have only been able to use it orally (for the rabbits, not me!!!) none have wanted to lap it up.
I have never used Lapizole.
I also use panacur for hedgehogs.

Hi, I give the Panacur for rabbits for 9 days, it is a chalky paste. I have two rabbits and both take the panacur if put on a piece of kale. Munch and gone, no problem!

Mine have Lapizole, it is aniseed flavour (I tasted it myself!!) and 6 out of 10 of my bunnies will lap it from the syringe. None would take Panacur! The 4 that wouldn't took it happily off a piece of bread :)
I only use it if they have visible worms though and don't use a preventative, and it is only 5 days with Lapizole instead of 9 so that is the main reason I chose Lapizole.

Last edited:
I only ever used Panacur, but I don't think it's very palatable. The Lapizole is quite a high dose, I seem to remember? That's obviously fine if they like it, of course!

Back