• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anyone used stronghold on their bunnies?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i know one of my old vets was from holland and she told me that out there selamectin is used instead of ivermectin to treat fleas and mites on bunnies.

The USA call it REVOLUTION...the UK call it STRONGHOLD.

We usually use ADVANTAGE for fleas as we have cats too....and XENO 450 spray for mites...altho pharmaq have started selling ivermectin drops for buns again which works out cheaper than xeno 450.

Wouldnt it be less stressful all around to use ONE product for BOTH problems and for kitty owners its a double up treatment..dose all the kittys and buns together same day..hover and steam clean any soft furnishings again afterwards.

the reason i usually use steam cleaning is that the heat is the only natural method to actually break downt he flea egg shell.
I have been pretty lax i admit..esp with the out of my control things that have been going on. But usually i try and steam the carpets at least monthly...i used to do it weekly when bertie was younger.
combined with hoovering its pretty effective as environment control.

I found this on the uSA house rabbit society pages.

Fleas and Mites
Safe treatments to prevent and kill fleas on rabbits include Advantage (imidocloprid), Program (lufenuron) and Revolution (selamectin). (Note: Advantage has been known, rarely, to irritate the skin of certain rabbits.) The latter is preferred, as it is also effective against various types of mites that cause symptoms of mange, ear canker, and "dandruff" (which is often caused by fur mites in the genus Cheyletiella). These products are available from your rabbit-savvy veterinarian. We use .4ml per rabbit of Advantage. For Revolution, we use the kitten dose and apply it between the shoulder blades once a month for at least three doses. Revolution is usually dosed at 6mg/kg. If you have the 60mg/ml solution (ie the kitten solution), use 0.1cc per kg of body weight (1kg = 2.2lb). If you have the 120mg/ml solution, use 0.05cc per kg of body weight. You'll need a tuberculin syryinge (no needle!) from your vet to measure such a small quantity of liquid. Apply to the back of the neck or other area where the bunny can't readily groom it off. It is essential to thoroughly clean your rabbit's cage and exercise areas after each treatment to control reinfestation, since fur and dander in the environment may contain mite eggs.

A flea comb is a non-toxic device that takes more patience, but is both physically and psychologically rewarding. Most rabbits learn to love the attention of being flea combed, and it can be used as a supplement to your main flea-control program

And like i said i do not like using chemical sprays...asthmatics in house and ME sufferer has as much chemical sensitivities as a bunny!! But their article has an interesting alternative to use instead of chemical sprays. With our stupid cats...yes i call them stupid..if it was icy outside dylan would have his tongue stuck to the letterbox!! love em but theyre not typical material...the buns laff at them for being daft!!

anyhoo back to the article

For environmental flea control, sprays and "bombs" are not recommended, as they may leave harmful residue that the rabbit can ingest. Safer alternatives include borax and diatomaceous earth, worked into the carpet where fleas leave their eggs.

i know xenex ultra is working on bunnies for both fleas and mites..BUT having had so many horrific reactions with buns in the past..i do not like to risk it....and its poisonous to cats..not safe in a snuggly cat n bunny relationship.

Has anyone tried using stronghold? Im going to ring the vet tomorrow and see what hed say..the senior vet that is....but i guess all they can say is it isnt licensed for rabbits and they usually arent allowed to give their opinions asit can be misconstrued as advice which if somehting does happen can cause a lot of problems for all concerned.

ah wouldnt it be nice for someone to advise...

iterestingly do you see in the article its advantage prone to causing skin reaction in the USA!!

:wave: I use selamectin on my buns, sold here in NZ as Revolution.
As you mention its good to be able to treat for both mites & fleas.
I just separate the buns for a short while so they don't groom it off each other.
Luckily one vial does both my huge girl & her tiny husbun.

Back