• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Grand National

Awful, some of those rabbits have been transported from Sweden to take place..:cry:
and scroll down and there is a judge holding a bun by its ears..which always gets denied but look at the black and tan being "examined":cry:

The 'holding pens' in the picture are nothing to do with the jumpers, ours were much bigger, and we cut the dividers out of most to make even more space, they were also more out of the way from the public.

As for the Swedish, they haven't just chosen their best jumpers they specifically chose the ones that dealt the best with travelling, they're vet checked before and after, a plane journey is probably a lot less stressful than going in a rickety van over a load of potholes which we had the way home (Although the rabbits weren't bothered), the jumpers also posted pictures of their rabbits just after landing and they seemed perfectly relaxed.

I've heard a lot of stories of people on here who's rabbits go into stasis from a simple car journey/vet trip, show rabbits and jumping rabbits have been raised gradually getting used to travelling, noise, people and are no where near as bothered by it as yours would be, yes there's always a few stressed out rabbits at shows, the ones who's owners haven't got them used to it properly although I have to say this year I went down every row and didn't see any that looked upset.

well i certainly dont agree with it and i bet if the buns had a say they would not want to go either,looks cruel and unnecassary!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

My rabbits went for JUMPING and they are fine with travelling and noise. I would never put them through un-necessary stress. The display was great for the public to see because Burgess were saying all the time how rabbits need to be out of the hutch and playing out in a run and the jumping rabbits were an example of how active rabbits are. The holding pens we had were much bigger than the ones shown!! They are BREEDER pens not the pens for the JUMPERS. I don't like the breeding bit with how the buns were handled but jumping is separate.

Last edited:
I'm generally in favour of the rabbit showjumping because I think it shows the public that rabbits are active intelligent creatures capable of being trained, not just stuck in a hutch and forgotten about. I didn't think any of the jumping rabbits seemed stressed, although a couple were a bit jumpy but I think that's probably down to the crowded ring and the presence of other rabbits nearby.

I HATE the showing competitions with a passion though. Rabbits being treated like a possession or piece of meat. Gives out all the wrong messages to anyone watching in my opinion. Plus I think we all know what happens to most show rabbits who don't make the grade :(

I'm generally in favour of the rabbit showjumping because I think it shows the public that rabbits are active intelligent creatures capable of being trained, not just stuck in a hutch and forgotten about. I didn't think any of the jumping rabbits seemed stressed, although a couple were a bit jumpy but I think that's probably down to the crowded ring and the presence of other rabbits nearby.

I HATE the showing competitions with a passion though. Rabbits being treated like a possession or piece of meat. Gives out all the wrong messages to anyone watching in my opinion. Plus I think we all know what happens to most show rabbits who don't make the grade :(

:thumb:

I have no problem with the jumping part of it, as the rabbits are running around and they seem to enjoy jumping, and if they are used to travelling and noise etc. then I don't see a problem with it. I don't really like the showing part of it, because it all seems a bit unnecessary to me, they are being bred to look a certain way so they can win rosettes. I probably sound a bit hypocritical because I did used to show my guinea-pigs, but I only went to a couple of shows before I gave up because my guinea-pigs weren't enjoying it at all and I was angry at the way they were being held.

I like the jumping because it's more a display and can show other people what rabbits can do and shows how energetic they can be and jumping can be fun for the bunnies, but I don't really see a point in showing rabbits.

Emma, is the jumping rabbit in the photo on the daily mail website one of yours? It looks like them :)

Last edited:
I have no problem with the jumping part of it, as the rabbits are running around and they seem to enjoy jumping, and if they are used to travelling and noise etc. then I don't see a problem with it. I don't really like the showing part of it, because it all seems a bit unnecessary to me, they are being bred to look a certain way so they can win rosettes. I probably sound a bit hypocritical because I did used to show my guinea-pigs, but I only went to a couple of shows before I gave up because my guinea-pigs weren't enjoying it at all and I was angry at the way they were being held.

I like the jumping because it's more a display and can show other people what rabbits can do and shows how energetic they can be and jumping can be fun for the bunnies, but I don't really see a point in showing rabbits.

Emma, is the jumping rabbit on the daily mail website one of yours? It looks like them :)

yeah it's tinkerbell :) She went to keep Mischief company but I brought her out for some exercise and she decided to jump :lol: :love:

Not that I entirely agree with shows, as I think to many breeders have too many animals and they don't see them as a proper pet. However, I was there yesterday and there were notices on the ends of all of the show pens stating that this was temporary show housing and not in any way suitable as accomodation. There were also exibits from the runaround guys and lots of "a hutch is not enough" leaflets kicking about. So whilst the show pens are not ideal, it was being made quite clear to the public what the situation is with them.

Is that Mischief jumping in one of the pics? Looks like him. And is that Jasper in the video, looks like Jasper and Emma, assuming its an older video.

ETA: Well done Tinkerbell! And I spotted you in the video Emma :wave:

Last edited:
article-2093389-1181BBD8000005DC-302_634x408.jpg

This bun looks like he's suffering from the heat. Head pointed back....If it wasn't a still we'd probably see him heavy breathing. :wave::(

Yeah the breeding bit upsets me quite a bit. I am VERY annoyed at that article cos they are making out that all those caged bunnies were included in the jumping! They weren't, the caged bunnies were in the breeder hall...they are completely different rabbits, those were the breeders bunnies not the beloved pets that were kept in a different hall and had the large pens full of toys and stuff. :(

Back