• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head Tilt Help

BorisnHannibal

Young Bun
Brief background first, last Saturday I was putting Hannibal in his hutch when he leaps from my arms and crashed on the floor. He immediately ran off. I followed and got down to see if he was ok, at which point he collapsed. I rushed him to the vets where they gave him a painkiller and checked him over. Nothing was broken so the vet suggested either a bad sprain or a trapped nerve. In the vets he was merrily hopping around like nothing happened. He suggested we keep a close eye on him and restrict his movements for a few days so he could heal.

All week he was fine. then Saturday morning I fed them then left for a weekend away with friends. First thing this morning my partner calls me and tells me to get home quickly. He had been on a boys night out and when he'd come home at 2am had noticed Hannibal seemed a bit off. When he checked again at about 9am this morning he couldn't seem to walk and his back end seemed to have gone.

I raced home and we rushed him to the emergency vet (£160) who took a look and thinks his respiratory infected might be affecting his mobility. We know he has an infection. He was on baytril prior to Christmas but since finishing the course has had no discharge and only the occasional sneeze so we assumed he was ok. However he then set him on the floor again and took another look but this time on a carpeted area so he could have better grip.

It would appear he has head tilt (I forget the name of the parasite involved sorry) and recommended Lapizole.

As they are an emergency vet only they did not have any so we have to go to our regular vets tomorrow and for now Hannibal has had metacam and baytril injections. He seems to have perked up since having these but is still leaning an tilting. My concern atm is that hes not drunk at all since last night evening and although he ate some carrot, hes not eaten much. Can anyone give any advice on how to feed him? And how best to get him to drink. He cant seem to aim at the water bottle and I'm worried he'll just fall face first into a dish.

Any suggestions would be gratefully receieved.

Terrified for my poor fluffy bundle :(

Hiya, it's awful seeing your bun with head tilt isn't it, I know because my little bun Olly has it too. :( if Hannibal isn't drinking by himself from his bottle, try him with a bowl (or even a saucer) to see if he'll drink from that. If he doesn't then you'll have to try and syringe some water into him, as it's important he gets fluids. If you don't have a syringe you will be able to get one from any chemist.
It's frustrating that your emergency vet didn't have the wormer, Hannibal needs to get that into him asap, it really does seem to help, loads of people on here have had buns in a terrible state, rolling over and over and unable to stand, and after a few weeks of treatment they improve loads and sometimes recover completely, so don't despair. If he is falling over or rolling, you will need to put rolled up towels around the edge of his cage so he doesn't hurt himself. And if he lives outside I would bring him in so you can nurse him properly and keep him warm. Try not to panic x

Hi

From the description I would be wondering a couple of things:

1. Had the 'shock' of the accident triggered a case of 'dormant' EC? Most buns carry this but it will often only show symptoms if they are under stress . It can typically c'ome out' after a stressful incdent or sometimes when anothetr illness causes immuno suppression.

If this is the case they treatment would include metacam, panacur (or lapizole) for 28 days.

Head tilt and loss of control of rear legs is 'typical' of EC.

2. It could be an ear infection associated with his other infections (and again exacerbated by shock). Have the vets looked very very carefully in his ears?

3. Could it be neurological to do with the accident? (rather than neurological to do with EC?)

Re the drinking - have you the 1ml syringe that you use for his meds? If so, mix a very small amount of something yummy (apple juice is a favourite) with water and syringe this carefully in to his mouth as though you were giving meds - if he is thirsty he should take it once he realises its yummy!! Its time consuming with a 1ml syringe but safer than using a large syringe. BE CAREFUL not to squirt it too fast or direct down his throat at all or it will get on his lungs..

some great advice so far...you can also get some great advice at www.onthewonk.co.uk as this is especially for headtilt bunnies and the people on the forum are quite amazing and helped me save my headtilt bunny!

hope you bunny pulls through x

IF it is EC many bunny savvy vets might recommend a series of steroid injections for the severe symptoms of loss of hind leg use and head tilt. Steroid injections must only be given by a rabbit vet who knows what they are doing! Also if it is EC as ripminnie said, it can take weeks (longer than the 28days!) and you may feel as if things will never improve then unbelieveably they do! Sending lots of vibes for your poorly Hannibal!

IF it is EC many bunny savvy vets might recommend a series of steroid injections for the severe symptoms of loss of hind leg use and head tilt. Steroid injections must only be given by a rabbit vet who knows what they are doing! Also if it is EC as ripminnie said, it can take weeks (longer than the 28days!) and you may feel as if things will never improve then unbelieveably they do! Sending lots of vibes for your poorly Hannibal!

Sending lots of vibes for Hannibal. I hope he's feeling better soon.

My Bun, Walter, had a headtilt. Not sure if it was EC related, although the vets could see what looked like an ear infection in one of his ears. But it did take a long time for him to get better so don't worry if you feel like he's not getting better. I think Walter had his head tilt for about 3 months, with lots of antibiotics etc until it had completely gone.

This is the thread, with a link to the original thread in it. There's lots of useful posts from other people on there, so it might be worth a read :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?213643-Update-on-Walter

thank you all for the suggestions.

As it happens we had some panacur in the house (we got it free when we signed up to our vets) and after typing my original entry (and doing lots of internet research on head tilt) I rang the emergency vets back and asked if I could use panacur instead. Vet said yes and off we went.

We then went to our regular vet yesterday who also had a look in his ears and said although they didn't look infected they did have a bit of crustyness to them, so she gave us some drops. So hes now on canaural, baytril and panacur.

Today he seems a bit more co ordinated. Still got the head tilt but his back legs seem a little more under his power. However it looks like bunny Boris (his rabbity bonded brother) has decided to pluck the fur from behind one of Hannibals ears. We had left them in the hutch together because Boris had been really supportive of Hannibal, helping prop him up and washing him all over. Not sure why, had a good look at Hannibals skin and it looks ok. Not sore of infected. Anyone else know what might cause him to do this?

He has been eating small bits of veg and herbs if we hand feed him and I'm syringing powdered excel pellets and water. Although today so far he has refused all my efforts to feed him any veg. Not sure of thats because hes full from excel mix or just not in the mood for me today (evil forcer of baytril)

Hes also been rather lovely and kissy. Licking my arms a lot which he doesn't really do. I like to think hes saying thank you. But more likely I taste nice! I have this awful fear I'm going to wake up and find him dead. It makes me so glad to hear success stories!

The fur plucking could be one of two things (well more actually - but lets go with the most likely!!)

It could either be a form of bullying because theother one is ill (this sadly does happen - its bunny nature)

OR more hopefully . . .

is because bunnies often try and 'lick better' the affected part . .

again it is nature - it hurts? then clean it and lick it free of germs and try and help .

Vets may not quite go with this latter but it is a well known thing in the bunny community (I have 34 buns so get to watch a lot of bunny behaviour!!)

So maybe the ear infection might be a possibility - have to say any 'crust' should have been cultured BEFORE starting abx - to see what any puss might be sensitive to drug-wise - but there you are - hopefully the Baytril will start to work!

Don't mean to repost...

but as an after thought. Hannibal hates his ear drops, and goes mental trying to shake his head. Ive been massaging the base of his ears and trying to hold him still till the urge subsides. Anyone got any other techniques? Because violent head shaking + head tilt = bunny throwing himself around and possibly hurting himself.

Don't mean to repost...

but as an after thought. Hannibal hates his ear drops, and goes mental trying to shake his head. Ive been massaging the base of his ears and trying to hold him still till the urge subsides. Anyone got any other techniques? Because violent head shaking + head tilt = bunny throwing himself around and possibly hurting himself.

I have that problem too when Olly has to have ear drops, so I could use some tips too! :?

I have that problem too when Olly has to have ear drops, so I could use some tips too! :?

Me too!!!! I stopped Harleys this morning til I see vet tomorrow! Massaging base does nothing! I have read that if ear drum burst you shouldn't us ab drops, but vet didn't seem concerned when I spoke to him. Said to go bac to canaural from chloramphenicol. Will let you know what happens tomorrow...hopefully will have an alternative!!!

Good vibes sent both your ways!!!

Well guys, seen vet this morning and afternoon!

One of my buns now has ear plugs!!! These are impregnated with ab's & anti inflamatories. Have to put drop of ab in each so plugs soak it up and then they just sit in ear delivering instant meds and hopefully stopping build up of pus!!!

However, Harley HATES it!!!!! Keeps shaking head and head sway nearly constant !!!

Worth trying!!! I found with Smudge that because she hasn't got perforated ear drums that Canaural massaged in at base of ear does not bother her...perhaps your bun has damaged ear drums????

Sorry can't be more informative! Xx

Back