• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Falcon may have landed - but he keeps taking off again! UD Pics!!

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
So.... the one teeny little detail no-one mentioned - this rabbit wants to be permanently airborne! :shock: I blame Jill for naming him Falcon. Couldn't you have gone with Penguin? ;) :lol:

Not only does he keep launching himself onto worktops, but once up there he chooses the highest vantage point possible, and has spent most of today sitting on a worktop on top of a bale of hay, nomming it non-stop and using it as a litter tray...

I've had to put platforms in place to help him get up and down more safely - without them he just flaps his ears and jumps. I lock him in his carrier at night because I don't want him jumping in the dark, but I've never known a rabbit like it! :shock:

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to cure him of living up to his name all the time? :?

Last edited:
So.... the one teeny little detail no-one mentioned - this rabbit wants to be permanently airborne! :shock: I blame Jill for naming him Falcon. Couldn't you have gone with Penguin? ;) :lol:

Not only does he keep launching himself onto worktops, but once up there he chooses the highest vantage point possible, and has spent most of today sitting on a worktop on top of a bale of hay, nomming it non-stop and using it as a litter tray...

I've had to put platforms in place to help him get up and down more safely - without them he just flaps his ears and jumps. I lock him in his carrier at night because I don't want him jumping in the dark, but I've never known a rabbit like it! :shock:

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to cure him of living up to his name all the time? :?

I have a Dumbo vision in my head now :lol::lol:

Erm told you he was a escape artist I wonder if he juumped over the Penn now .....or is it he thinks he is a cat after all

I have a Dumbo vision in my head now :lol::lol:
Yes! Tinsel, your post made me giggle.

It must be very hard work having such a mobile bunny tho.

Does he jump from floor straight to worktops?

Ada does not attempt that height unless she feels trapped (eg in her pen), and the kitchen is big, so I just make sure I don't keep anything near worktops that she could use as a stepping stone, and she has plenty of things in the middle of the floor instead. I push chairs right in under the table; they are not appealing to jump onto that way as she has very little headroom for landing.

ETA: Based on my little experience with Ada I would try more space if it were possible. She is now usually free range in a room of about 5x4m where I move stuff about frequently and is she is less interested in jumping on to high things.

Last edited:
I find cat trees help. Oliver used to sit on the middle step as his resting place of choice! I think it's the prey thing, they feel safe where they have a good vantage point!
OlTree2.JPG

OlTree1.JPG

My graysons a jumper!!! ALWAYS jumping up onto things! I've used those square show rack making things, to barrier and make higher, the things he can get to, dosn't stop him trying!

I also make some rabbit jumps from them, thinking they would cure his jumpyness, but no, he lifts them up and crawls yes crawls underneath!!

Thank you all for your replies! :wave:

Ah Debbie, when you said "escape artist" I assumed horizontal not vertical!

Yes, Vita, he can take off from the floor and land on the worktop. I've put things there so he doesn't have to though to make it safer. :shock:

Those cat platforms look good, Ali, but I don't think he'd use them. To start with he did sit on his crate all day, which I covered with towels to make it softer for him to sit on, and that was a similar height to the platforms. But now he seems to want to be higher than that. Day 3 was the worktop, Day 4 was the top of the pile of hay on top of the worktop (that's now been moved elsewhere). I think Yvette is right; I just need to take away his feather... :thumb:

Susi bun; I agree with Three Little Pigs; that was a MASTERLY hint, so I'll reward it with a picture!!

Emiee, you have my sympathy!

Pics coming up soon!

Last edited:
And here they are!

Picture1625.jpg

Picture1624.jpg

Picture1623.jpg

The hay has now been removed so as not to encourage him further. Falcon was not impressed. :roll:

Bless him, it's amazing how high they can jump. :shock:

That pale patch on his head makes him even cuter. :love:

just to add..tunnels, small box and apple sticks..to keep him busy and give him somewhere to hide..going to higher ground can be a fear response........or just naughtiness :lol:

:love: Him and my Autumn could make a formidable harlequin mountain goat team.

They must NEVER share tips with each other :lol:

Back