• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Couple of Parrot Pictures.

Lobo

Mama Doe
Our Eclectus parrot girl, Aoife

DSCF2385CR.jpg

DSCF2392CR.jpg

DSCF2388CR.jpg

Thanks for sharing.:D I love parrot photos, and she is a very fine girlie indeed. :love: Is she doing well?

I love the half red / half blue tummy. Very pretty parrot :thumb:

The breast feathers should either be all blue or all red depending on the sub-species. She appears to be a cross between two.:)

Thanks for sharing.:D I love parrot photos, and she is a very fine girlie indeed. :love: Is she doing well?

She is doing well thank you, although we are having some difficulties getting her to eat a proper diet. It is not unlike rescue bunnies who won't eat hay because they had not previously had it made available.:roll:

She is a very beautiful girl.:love:

It's kind of weird that the females of this species have such vivid colours and the males are a plain green. :lol:

She is a very beautiful girl.:love:

It's kind of weird that the females of this species have such vivid colours and the males are a plain green. :lol:

Although the males look mostly green they are red along the sides and under the wings. They also have a deep blue tail with yellow tips. This picture is of the male we had for 33 years. He should not have the yellow feathers in the picture; they were caused by liver disease. Sadly, he passed away the day after this picture was taken at the vet clinic.:cry:

Ricky4.jpg

He was such a handsome fellow. I remember when you lost him, but hadn't twigged that he was the same species as your current girlie parrot.

I remember when Eric passed away, so very sad.

I am going to the Blue Mountains on Thursday for 3 nights, in Katoomba. We could meet up if you like.

Lobo, she really is gorgous.
I too have a tough time with Rubys diet.Different breeds maybe, theyre all stubborn,picky,noisy,untidy, loveable rogues!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

She is absolutley gorgeous :love: Does she have free range in your house or is she in a cage? I don't know anyone with a parrot and I'm so interested in them and how they are kept. Are you able to let her out to fly in the garden? Do they poop anywhere or can you train them? I watched this programme and the lady on there would go for walks outside with her parrot just sat on her shoulder the whole time he never tried tried to fly away. I'd be worried that it would fly off and never come back :( xx

Lobo, she really is gorgous.
I too have a tough time with Rubys diet.Different breeds maybe, theyre all stubborn,picky,noisy,untidy, loveable rogues!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have never known a pet to waste food like she does. She throws it up to 60 cms out of the cage. All the rabbits are aware of the fact there may be some fruit and rice and such on offer so hover around for the scraps we miss. The other evening I was chastising her for being so wasteful, she looked straight at me and said "I love you".:roll::love:

This morning when we had the rabbit's greens in their dishes, madame helped herself to a sprig of mint from one. My OH called out 'Hoi' so she hightailed it across the bench, up the cage side to the top, all the time with the mint firmly clenched in her beak. She then took the mint in her foot and fed herself on it until it was all gone. If we offered it to her she would probably throw it on the floor.

She is absolutley gorgeous :love: Does she have free range in your house or is she in a cage? I don't know anyone with a parrot and I'm so interested in them and how they are kept. Are you able to let her out to fly in the garden? Do they poop anywhere or can you train them? I watched this programme and the lady on there would go for walks outside with her parrot just sat on her shoulder the whole time he never tried tried to fly away. I'd be worried that it would fly off and never come back :( xx

Flying off and not coming back is how we ended up with this girl. She was found as a stray last October and unbelieveably no one came forward to claim her, so she was placed in rescue and from there we adopted her.

Most of the parrots sitting on people's shoulders whilst outside have their wings clipped to restrict flight. This is something I will never agree to. Flight is a primary function of a bird and to prevent by clipping wings does not sit right with me; I also wonder how much it affects the bird psychologically. There are also harnesses available but I don't really feel comfortable with the idea of them either.

I would like to think it possible to litter train a bird but because they poop about every 15 minutes I can't ever envisage it to be possible.

Aoife has two cages; a large one for day use and another slightly smaller for overnight. The day cage is 97cms wide, 70 cms deep and 167 cms high. She stays in the cage during the day with a swing and other toys to entertain herself until we get home and is then let out to climb on the outside of it. There are some additional smaller perches attached to the outside as well as some food and water dishes and she is free to fly around the room as she wishes. It is imperative to supervise their outside cage time as they can accidentally fall behind furniture or get tangled in curtains and blinds where struggling to free themselves could result in significant injury.

Oh no I didn't realise that's why it probably wasn't flying away because it's wings were clipped :shock: I don't agree with wing clipping I think it's unatural and not fair at all on the bird, I wouldn't ever do that. Sounds like she has a wonderful life with you and is very happy. Thanks for the info it's really interesting to read about parrot care I really do like them. I look forward to more piccies in the future :D xx

Back