• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Manicure

Dave81

Mama Doe
Ok not a manicure but how much do you think on average it would cost per rabbit for a vet to clip their nails?

It's not an option for me to do it on my own my bunnies are very temperamental they won't stay still long enough even just to look at the nails.

I phoned my vet to ask yesterday and they said £13 per rabbit :shock:
Several of the vets do it free with jabs if you ask though, so it might be worth asking if that's the case with yours?

My vet just charges the consultation usually, although once I think I was charged £5 on top, as I was there for lots of other reasons as well, I had 4 buns and a hamster with me!

Someone local told me they paid £15 not long ago. Some vets will charge a consultation fee as well, I don't know if that was included in this price or not (not my buns, it was a conversation with someone at a bus stop :oops::lol:).

If you have a vet trip due for vaccinations or something else, you can ask the vet to do it whilst you're there - a lot of them will do it for free and include it in the existing consult. If you don't have anything coming up, don't hold it off as nails need to be done regularly to prevent them breaking off (sometimes at the root :shock:) or causing foot problems. Instead, go to the vet, pay the charge, and ask for exact instructions on how to DIY. They can also show you how to handle a tempermental rabbit, although some buns will always need two pairs of hands to clip. I have asked friends in the past to hold a bun in a towel whilst I clip their nails, it worked fine with my extremely fiesty Bridge Bun Oidhche who would bite, kick and pee on me if I did it alone! A pair of clippers will cost you about £5 and you'll never have to pay for them being clipped again, so money well spent.

What breed do you have, are they a difficult breed to hold? Have you tried the much-loved 'bunny burrito'? Just wondering if people on here could give you some tips as it's so much cheaper. But of course if you are more comfortable having them done by the vet, take them to the vet. :D

Just thought I'd echo the comment about not putting it off if you don't have anything else coming up. As rabbit's claws grow, so does the quick, so you can only take off down to there anyway. I hadn't realised that Eli's back claws had gotten reasonably long and I expect it's going to take a few weeks of trimming them a little bit at a time and letting the quick recede each time until they're a good length now :(

Good question.

Also - can I pip in here?

How can you tell where the quick is on dark nails? I'm sure Baileys need clipping (never been done and she's a year old a week on Monday), but I have no idea where to cut them?

Good question.

Also - can I pip in here?

How can you tell where the quick is on dark nails? I'm sure Baileys need clipping (never been done and she's a year old a week on Monday), but I have no idea where to cut them?

Shine a torch behind them and you should be able to tell. My advice is to take a little off at a time and keep checking.

I can't help with how much vets charge. Sorry. Mine were done at the vets as part of an initial healthcheck and they included it in the consult fee. The rabbit rescue lady did it when my rabbits went for boarding (well, she did one and decided the other didn't need doing), but other than that I do my own

I can do it on my own, but I've always found it easier as a two person job. Is there someone who can help you?

I always do it so one holds and calms the rabbit and passes out a paw/claw at a time makings sure the bun is comfortable with the way the paw is being held and the other has clippers and torch.

Also I do my light-pawed bun first to get a feel for the correct length before doing the darker pawed bun.

Last edited:
I think it's around £8 to £12 here.

I do them myself though - well, I hold and my daughter cuts as nobody else is brave enough to try to hold them still. :roll::lol: With light coloured claws, it's easy to see the quick but I tend to err on the side of caution with Alfie's dark claws by just taking the tips off on a regular basis.

Back