• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fluids turned uppy-eared bunny into a lop!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Just a question, I was reading about rabbits being spayed today and was reminded of what happened to Finx.

She had to go back and stay overnight as she went into stasis following the aneasthetic - while she was there, being given pain relief and fibreplex and tempted with dandelions and exercise, they tried to give her fluids through a drip. She kept pulling it out of her ear, so they had to inject instead. When she came home, the ear was floppy. If I held it in the air it fell straight back down again. Then a couple of weeks later it gradually started to go up again and she returned to her usual uppy-eared self.

Anyone else experienced this? Just wondering, we thought maybe the muscles had weakened? :wave:

Did you have any theories as to why?
I found an old picture...

17022011015.jpg

Awww! Little cutie! :love: I took lots of pictures of Josie while her ear was lopped too!

I'm not sure why the vet said it happened, just that it was quite common and it would probably go back up. She said to keep an eye on it, in case the ear started to die. She said that was very rare though!

Back