• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fox poo threat - please advise

claire**

Warren Scout
Hi, we have a lot of urban foxes in the area, i realised today I had trodden in some mess and brought it into my porch on my shoe. It has also got on the bottom of my jeans which i had then worn around the house last night.

My bun is a housebunny but I am concerned about the threats that the fox mess could cause him. Before I realised the mess, last night he was hopping all over the floor - in the porch because I keep his food there, and sniffing at my trousers while we were on the sofa.

I have used antibac wipes on the areas in my porch (carpeted) which are now drying, and have hoovered my entire house very well.

I just wondered whether he can catch anything from running about in the areas before it was cleaned up, or even sniffing and therefore possibly ingesting a tiny bit. Do I need to worm him - can they catch worms from fox poo? anything else I should be aware of or do? I cannot disinfect my whole carpets so I hope hoovering is enough.

Im so disgusted.

it could be cat or dog, but most likely fox. anything extra i need to be aware of incase its cat or dog? he is fully vaccinated. would it be wise to phone the vet

Last edited:
I can't comment on the likelihood of worm transferance - I am not a vet, biologist or anything else scientific but I'd be surprised if rabbits and foxes were part of the same parasite lifecycle so, tbh, I wouldn't be over-concerned... well, apart from concerned about the rank smell of fox poo.

I might have a very slight, hardly measurable :) concern about fox mange. I've had a couple of dogs contract mange (which is the sarcoptic mange mite) and the vet has always said that it is likely to have been caused by foxes leaving the mites behind in passing. Rabbits can suffer from sarcoptic mange mite.

But I really think it is very unlikely that you'll have a problem. Your shoes and legs (trousered or not) are likely walking in various bugs all the time but they're invisible so you aren't aware and don't worry. Personally, I wouldn't be at all concerned. Other opinions may differ. ;)

Last edited:
The only things I would be concerned about would possibly be worms, and I don't even know if they can get them from foxes - I believe the parasite is passed on through eggs from the infected host, which would come out in faeces. There have been a few threads on tapeworms recently so a quick search would find you the threads with people who actually know what they're talking about! :lol:

As Tahitou has said, mange is also a very slight possibility - but honestly I think the chances are minute. You have obviously cleaned very thoroughly. You could phone your vet and ask for a quick chat if you're concerned as I don't think they would mind that at all and it would put your mind at rest. I wouldn't worm him without vet advice - for one thing different meds treat different worms!

Back