• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The NEW combined VHD/MYXO jab

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Mr Ian Sayers is very excited about it.
It will be one jab a year instead of 3...Myxo being better than it is now.

Its due out in MARCH but you just dont know.Ian has the data..said he would let me know when he finds out more.

Just thought Id share.

When I was at my vets over the holidays, my vet mentioned this and said they hoped to have it soon and seem quite excited about it.

Hope it turns out to be good thing.

Would just like to ask if anyone knows if bunnies have had bad reactions to this new drug.

I have had 2 Red Belgian Hare Bucks who have had bad reactions to VHD, and have passed away 3 days after receiving the vaccination.
I also have a Black and Tan Hare doe, who received the same jabs, and had no reaction. And is still fighting fit, - so i am happy to let her have the new Combined jab.
But im seriously worried about loosing my new little Belgian Buck, he is almost a year old, and i have deliberately not allowed him to have the VHD vaccine, Because im sooo worried i will loose him too.. He is due to have the jab in december, but i have been told that they have stopped making the single Myxo jabs, so i only really have two choices; to give my buck the combined jab and risk loosing him from a reaction, or not vaccinate him at all and risk loosing him to Myxi or VHD ... :/.. help! :(

Mollyrose I am so sorry to hear about your poor belgian hares. terrible:(

I have two red belgian hare brothers- were vaccinated as kits with the single myxi vaccine (had never had vhd jab) and I took them on monday to have their first combined vaccine. I am happy to report neither has shown any adverse signs as yet.

Ps when i was phoning round to get prices for the vaccines some vets I called said they were still only offering the single myxi jabs as they won't buy the combined until they have used up what they have left of the single.

if you are still really worried when he is due it may be vets by you are doing same thing. did your new hare come from a different breeder to your lost boys? if unrelated I feel less chance of reaction maybe?

wow, glad to hear something positive! :) i have been talking to some other Belgian hare owners over the last few years and have found that there are several people who have similar bad reactions to the VHD drugs, (Cylap, & Anivac) Specifically, the loss of use of the hind legs & lethargy. (All Red Belgian Hare Bucks).. all passed away soon after receiving the drug

All Three boys were from complete opposite ends of the country!, and were completely unrelated as far as i'm aware, :)

we rang round a few surgery's today, and one place had 7 single myxo jabs available, but on a first come ffirst serve basis, - my Buck isnt due to have the jab until December, and worried that they might be gone by then :( ..

Scamp had a massive scab and under the weather for a week after cylap VHD but fine after the combo.

It sounds like maybe something genetic though so it would be hard to be 100% without knowing reactions in that particular group.

Scamp had a massive scab and under the weather for a week after cylap VHD but fine after the combo.

It sounds like maybe something genetic though so it would be hard to be 100% without knowing reactions in that particular group.

Was Scamp a Red Belgian Hare?

The new combi vaccine is very different to the old VHD vaccines so I don't think there is any specific reason to be concerned.The VHD protection is just hitching a ride on the myxi protection.

Back