• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about vaccinations

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
In November I went to have Rosie vaccinated against the myxi virus and I haven't gotten around to getting the VHD done yet because of money but I hope too soon. How often do they need to have the boosters? I live in the inner parts of Plymouth so I don't think my area is considered a high risk or anything. How often does myxi and VHD have to be done and on average how much does VHD cost, is it any different to the cost of myxi jabs? thanks

Myxo is every 6 months and VHD is annually. There is also a new vaccination due to come out with a thread further down the page which might be worth you reading.

The costs vary greatly between vets and practices but many vets will offer a reduced rate if you are getting myxo and vhd done as close as possible (which is two weeks apart). Normally the cost is similar for each vaccination in you take them as stand alone.

Cost will depend on the vet, but mine cost £19.50 per vaccination.

Myxi vaccine should currently be given twice a year.

VHD vaccine should be given once per year.

They are currently separate vaccines, and should be given at least 2 weeks apart.

With regards to the comment about risk, VHD can be carried on anyone and given without knowing to the bunny, so where you are doesnt really have much influence on the risk for that. With myxi its not as far as im aware transmitted on anything like VHD but it is a big risk wherever you are and even indoor bunnies in cities can get it. There are ways to help reduce chances of disease aswell which aswell as vaccinating can really help (vaccinated bunnies can still get a form of myxi, although its mostly treatable if caught and treated early) like making sure that you dont handle your bunny after handling others unless you have washed hands and changed clothes ( Im a bit paranoid about any disease transmisson).

Ok thankyou everyone :) I have been saving up to get her a new hutch and her jab done so I am hoping it will be around £30 mark give or take (our vets are a bit expensive but they are pretty good) but I will phone up and ask

Back