• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental on tuesday

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
Just had Patchies at the vet cause he has stopped eating. The vet checked his mouth aand he has spurs on his back teeth. The vet started questioning me about where I got him cause he is badly bred and has a deformed mouth. I have to say I feel like the worst bunny mummy in the world.

What are they doing about the fact he's not eating now? Is he not eating now? He can't cope without eating until Tuesday.

Has he had any pain relief?

Don't feel bad, lots of people have dental bunnies, inclusive of myself.

He got an injection there to help with any pain and yeah he is eating just not loads like he usually does. He did stop for a little while but then I tried a bit of banana cause I got worried and he practically ripped it out my hand. So he is still eating and pooping, he's just a little reluctant to eat.

Be aware, that pain relief may well stop working if it was metacam within 12 hours so you may have to go to the emergency vets over the weekend when the pain relief wears out - could you ask the vet to bring home some pain relief before the day is over?

I'd too get some metacam to give at home - its essential. I'd also get enough recovery food (Science Supreme Recovery or Oxbow Critical Care) so you can syringe feed him if need be. Fibreplex would be a good idea as well.

I am gonna phone them and ask. It's more the eating side of it. Should I give him something else that will be easier to eat?? He will eat his nuggets but it takes him a while to do it so I thought something mushier might be easier.

Last edited:
I agree with the pain relief aspect too. That should encourage him to eat. If it doesn't provide lots of water and try and tempt him to drink more with water laced with rabbit safe things and also mushy foods if your bunny can't eat hard stuff for the moment. You can make his pellets a bit damp so he can eat them easier. You can food process up his favourite fresh foods. You can put oats in boiling water and let them cool down (remember to introduce this as you would any new food).

I am gonna phone them and ask. It's more the eating side of it. Should I give him something else that will be easier to eat?? He will eat his nuggets but it takes him a while to do it so I thought something mushier might be easier.

You could soften the pellets with a little cooled boiled water, he may find them easier to eat.

If he's eating less now then his amount of eating could decrease further.
I agree with GrahamL,it's unlikely the pain relief will prevent pain up to Tuesday. :(
If your bun stops eating during the night then you'll have to seek your emergency vets.
So it would be wise to ask your vets again if they could do it sooner :wave:

Back