• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plywood Hutch

Daniel

Alpha Buck
I'm wondering what people think of a Plywood Hutch?
I’m not talking about 4mm plywood hutches but more along the lines of 9mm Red Face Plywood at the least.

Plywood is ideal in my opinion because unlike tongue and groove there are no edges the buns can get their teeth into. I use it for all my home made hutches. 9mm is certainly thick enough too :)

One of my 2 tier hutches is very thick ply. I painted the whole thing inside and out with really good quality external wood preservative, put smooth roofing felt all round the outside to protect it from the weather and fitted a false roof with a much bigger 8" overhang at the front. It has outlasted several other hutches and is still in really good condition. The only thing I have had to do in the last 10 years is repaint the doors and put on a new false roof last year. I would have another as it is so much better quality than the cheap T&G ones.

Back