• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Button made a great escape last night…

*Red*

Mama Doe
This is Button, if you haven’t seen her before..

P1030506.jpg

And here she was the other night quite happy in her little sand bath..

P1030503.jpg

P1030502.jpg

Last night she came out to play, she was in her ball for 10 or so minutes while I cleaned her out, and then I remembered I’d just put the rabbit pen together in the spare room! So, I plopped her in that with a few of her toys. It’s 4ft by 3ft so she had a great time! (she’s the little black mound on the right, hiding behind the white and blue gift bag!)

P1030518.jpg

I bedtime comes for me and I put her back in her cage, only to find this at half past five when I get up for work :shock:

P1030521.jpg

An escape hole no bigger than an inch, in the bottom level of her home.

Well I looked everywhere, and looked again. Had the books out the book case, lifted the sofas up, had the washing machine out, and couldn’t find her anywhere :cry::cry:

The realisation kicked in that maybe I’d never find her… and then my downstairs neighbour knocked to see if I’d lost anything.

We can only assume she made her way down to their maisonette by following a pipe somewhere. The woman thought she was a rat and it was only when her husband turned the main light on that they realised she wasn’t!

And here she is the little madam with bald patches on her nose from the nibbling at the air vent to make her escape route! Let her run around the pen while I figured out what to put her back in. She's currently in one tier of her storage box mansion, the basement having been rendered useless! :roll:

P1030520.jpg

Am so relieved she's back, I honestly thought she'd gone.

I gasped when I read your text this morning :shock:

...and then giggled, partly with relief :lol:

Little madam!!!!!!

What about putting some mesh over the air holes, double layering it at an angle so the holes are really tiny?

That is quite a story! :shock::shock::shock:

So pleased she is safe and well, albeit with a bald patch. :love:

Oh bless! She's as cute as a button :roll: though. Good job your neighbours realised she was yours else she may have been, erm, dispatched :shock:

Oh bless! She's as cute as a button :roll: though. Good job your neighbours realised she was yours else she may have been, erm, dispatched :shock:

I know :shock:

I'm so lucky. I had tears streaming down my face when I answered the door, and cow print pj's so I must have looked a right mess :oops: I was scouring the flat praying to god she was okay and I'd find her.

Jen, I've thought of mesh, as the lid has been meshed. I'm going to buy another storage box for the lower level and not add any air holes. She's not stupid, she knows now that she can get through that plastic if given a hole big enough to get her teeth around to enlarge. She'll get enough fresh air from the meshed lid, there's a 6 inch strip cut out of the base of the upstairs level for her wheel on the ground floor (as it's too high for one level) and her little ladder.

I'm going to pop the whole cage into the bathtub of a night so if she ever breaks out again she physically can't get out of the bath!

She's such a little monkey; I'm so glad you found her. :love:

I think once they know there's an escape route, they keep going back to it - my brother's hammy many years ago (in one of those awful rotatstaks :oops:) knew that he could twist the lid to the 'attic' bedroom and push it off. He even managed it when it was sellotaped up. :shock: We found him eventually; he'd crawled up the back of the fridge freezer and was sat in the gap between the two. :?

I mentioned to you about being careful of any ridges inside, as the little monkeys can chew on those as well to make a hole, but it looks as though the inside of the box is smooth. :D:thumb:

Goodness you are so lucky to get her back. DoDo my bridge hamster would chew his way out of anything plastic.

Back