• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Levi needs a wifebun, but...

Sugarcube

Young Bun
I think my Levi is sort of depressed. He sits hunched up in a corner of his cage and doesn't move for long periods of time. I've done many trips to the vet and he says that Levi is very healthy, he just might be lonely. All this behaviour of his started after he recovered his furry teabag removal. He is very sweet to me, but he just looks sad in his cage and even when I let him out he looks the same sometimes... I know he needs a wifebun.

Now, the problem is that I've recently moved in my boyfriend's house, with his family and all and his mother won't let me get another rabbit. She thinks that me having a rabbit and 3 rats is a lot. Until now Levi has been playing with my boyfriend's brother's rabbit, Fluffy. Fluffy is a young dutch cross male rabbit. Levi seems to get along great with him, but I know that this won't last forever as Fluffy is not neutered and will become aggressive sooner or later... I also know that even if Fluffy got neutered the chances of them getting along are small. That's why I want to get a female friend for Levi. So I can slowly introduce them to each other and when the female's ready spay her. And then no more grumpy Levi!

Good part is that we are moving in about 6 months. My boyfirend and me will be staying in the garage after we turn it into a proper room. So, I just might be able to persuade his mother into letting me get another bunny, since we are not going to live in the house. But, until then, what can I do to keep Levi happy? Or what could I do to make my boyfriend's mother understand? I've made a video for her about rabbits and how they need company, but I haven't showed her yet. I'm planning to show her on March, when it's my birthday so she can reconsider.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Be careful letting Levi play with another rabbit if they aren't properly bonded. It isn't fair to keep seperating if they are properly bonded, which might be why he's sad.

Have you tried the 'they will live together so it's no more noticeable' etc route with OH's mum?

If she still won't, I'd say just wait until you move. Give Levi as much attention as you can and then find a nice spayed female from a resuce - then you don't need to pay for spaying and the rescue may well help you bond them.

Levi and fluffy may well get along after neutering - I have had 2 boys before who were fine and I know a lot of people on here have as well. But don't let them be friends if they can't stay together forever, because they'll both be heartbroken at being seperated.

I hope you can find a solution!

Thanks for your response.

My boyfriend's mother knows that the wifebun is going to live in the same space with Levi, but she just says "no more pets".
Now, Levi and Fluffy... They have been introduced slowly and there were absolutely no fights or anything. I'm just starting to let them play less and less because I'm scared that they will fight now that Fluffy's getting older. They don't live in the same cage. Levi lives in pen and his cage is in the pen with the front door open so he can access his litterbox, hay, food and water. Fluffy lives in a hutch outside, I'm against keeping rabbits outside all the time, but they won't listen to me because it's their rabbit, blah blah blah.
I just know that Clayton (my boyfriend's brother and owner of Fluffy) would never let me neuter his rabbit and, even if I did, he wouldn't allow me to keep him with my Levi. That's why I want my own second rabbit.

You need to get a rabbit completely identical to Levi and bond her with him. Then the mum will never know ;)

But yes, in all seriousness, it would be sensible not to let the rabbits 'play' together anymore because it's not beneficial if they won't ever live together. Keeping him stimulated and lively is the best bet right now. Also providing a snugglesafe to sleep on/snuggle with would be another option to try :)

Back