• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

found dead kits in my rabbit's cage

xllx

New Kit
today i found 5 baby rabbits in my rabbit's cage, they were not alive, although they were still pink. so i am very unsure about how long they had been that way for. i did not even know my rabbit was pregnant, the babies were not significantly large, but they did look as though they could have been full term.
there was only 5, and i saw no blood nor placenta. she had burried them and took no notice when i tried to put them in front of her (i was not sure if it would be okay to take them away from her and bury them).
did she have a miscarriage? is there a chance that she could still be pregnant? it is winter here in england, is there a possibility that it was too cold for them to survive? i thought if this was not the reason then perhaps the mother rejected them.
i have been considering letting her fall pregnant again, it is naturaly what she is supposed to do, i am worried that after this she will become "grumpy" and withdrawn
any advice will be appreciated!

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm sorry about the kits. did you wamr them up before pronoucing them dead?

This was a full birth, not a miscarriage. How is mum doing now? Is she eating, drinking, pooing, weeing and clean underneath?

It would be worthwhile reading this thread about accidental litters. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923

If you are considering breeding, then you also need to read this thread. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327922 Nature made rabbits into bredding machines, breeding back to back. That doesn't necessarily mean it is the best thing to do to give her a happy life, or that is the healthiest thing for them. It is just a way to help the species survive- which she doesn't need to worry about.

Im sorry for your loss..... but please reconsider breeding from her again. She will be a happier, healthier bunny if you get her spayed.
:wave:

Have you removed the Buck ? If not he will have mated her again and she may already be pregnant yet again :cry: Is she eating, drinking, pooing and weeing as normal ?

Do you know anything about your Doe's history ? Age ? Genetic background ?

Have you researched Breeding Rabbits ? What will you do if you cannot find homes for any Rabbits you breed ? Can you afford to keep them all and do you have enough space to provide for their welfare needs ?

My advice would be to get your Doe checked over by a Vet. you could then discuss getting her spayed and getting your Buck neutered so they can be bonded together without breeding and adding to the thousand of unwanted Pet Rabbits already here.

I'm really sorry to hear about the kits

I would suggest neutering her to prevent this heartache again and for reasons above.

Back