• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My best tip for getting a rabbit to eat again after stasis or surgery

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
Herbs! It basically saved our bunny from dying last year - she loves basil, and especially the thai sweet kind. She is such a cultured lady. Wouldn't eat anything else.

I believe next best is in fact the nuggets of food.

A lot of veg and hay won't be touched. Just my thoughts.

Best

Agreed :thumb: I do a bunny buffet of different herbs, hays and forage. The room ends up being a tip and Nutmeg has a field day but it normally gets Smudge eating. :D

Totally agree, I sware my Parsnip's recovery was helped a great deal when all he would eat was Parsley!! Apprantly a known tonic in rabbits :thumb: Now he has a small handfull every morning along with the usual which he adores :love::love:

We're herbs, grass, dandelion leaves and bramble leaves this end, depending on what time of year it is and what they have had done.

I find most important for them all is to be chilled and relaxed, and then they will eat. Unless it's a spay, we have big cuddle times when they get home and they get a special blanket that seems to help them all, for reasons unknown, and they seem to start eating pretty quick.

Pellets are usually the last thing to come back in my experience though.

We're herbs, grass, dandelion leaves and bramble leaves this end, depending on what time of year it is and what they have had done.

I find most important for them all is to be chilled and relaxed, and then they will eat. Unless it's a spay, we have big cuddle times when they get home and they get a special blanket that seems to help them all, for reasons unknown, and they seem to start eating pretty quick.

Pellets are usually the last thing to come back in my experience though.

Found this with Smudge too, except in his case it's being left alone and lots of quiet. :)

Found this with Smudge too, except in his case it's being left alone and lots of quiet. :)

:thumb: Different things for different bunnies definitely. I would never try and give Roger snuggles, that would make things much worse for him. He would be left alone too.

I did the same after my rabbits were spayed Jezebel was fine eating pellets and food galore.

Fluffy refused so I put together lots of different veg and herbs which she started to pick at slowly then the next day she was eating lots of veg

Back